Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Venafalaxine withdrawal

(127 Posts)
Trooperslane2 Mon 14-May-18 08:58:28

Been on VF since January - can't eat, barely functioning and after discussion with my GP coming off it.

I want to use this thread just to vent, to remind myself there was someone there before anxiety took over my life several years ago and to convince myself that I will be ok and DH will get his wife back again.

I've recently left a massively stressful job and I'm studying from September - I've just had another chat with a lovely Mum at nursery drop off and realised I haven't regretted this change for a minute!

Feel free to join in if you're weaning off too.

Today: probably a 6/10 but the sun is shining and I have nice plans - for me. Self care is the new medicating in our house.

LandOfOddSocks Mon 14-May-18 10:35:57

Well done you for taking such positive steps to improve things, which are already having an impact. smile

Trooperslane2 Mon 14-May-18 11:09:31

Aw socks!

Thanks so much. ..... that really means a lot.

Recently my confidence has been shot to bits (and there wasn't much of it to start with, though you wouldn't know it if you didn't know me very well).

I don't mean to sound needy - but that does really help and thank you again <3

LandOfOddSocks Mon 14-May-18 11:13:37

Anxiety can be soul destroying and I know what it's like trying to come off venlafaxine. You aren't needy, you are being very brave and should be really proud of yourself. A fresh start with a new course to focus on and away from the stressful job sounds ideal!

Trooperslane2 Mon 14-May-18 11:16:43

Socks

I think I'm in love with you smile

I've hit an all time recent high of 8/10

smile

LandOfOddSocks Mon 14-May-18 11:24:37

Awwww thanks blush

I'll keep an eye on your thread and am here to support.

Enjoy the beautiful weather! ☀️

MrsWooster Mon 14-May-18 11:31:47

Do you mind if I ask how / what de-increments (!) you're doing? I've been stuck on alternating 75mg and 112.5mg each day and a few months ago went 75/75 by mistake and had 4 days of horrible physical symptoms inc the 'brain zaps' i'd read about. Too scared to try again... I am very proud that I've got down this far tho and I hope you are to; anxiety etc take our power away and by even trying to get off the medication we are getting ourselves back. We will get there!

Trooperslane2 Mon 14-May-18 11:43:56

SOCKS <3 thank you - gives me so much confidence I'll get there

MrsW I'm tapering with 35mg every day til Friday then I'm off it shock

But have only been on for about 16 weeks after the citalopram I'd been on for years somehow stopped working. You're totally right - I'm a shell of my former self after years of DDad dying, nearly being made redundant every 6 months, DM getting ill, multiple miscarriages and multiple fertility interventions and DM dying...... I could write a bloody book

What's a brain zap? And yes, I now am feeling like I need a back clap for being brave enough to try to get myself back. Go for it MRSW!

LandOfOddSocks Mon 14-May-18 13:03:18

You definitely deserve the back slap Troopers. smile That is a hell of a lot you have been through.

MrsWooster I'd been on it a long time when I came off so had to do it much more slowly because of the withdrawal effects. I was on 225mg per day and cut down by 10mg per week until I got to zero. Don't be scared, you can do it.

useruserbored Mon 14-May-18 13:33:56

I didn't realise you could come down by 10mg a day......thought the smallest dose was 37.5mg?!
Brain zaps are the weirdest thing! When I've come off before you have to just ride a hideous storm of a couple of weeks of nausea, slow motion, brain zaps etc.......

Haribogirl Mon 14-May-18 13:56:29

Can I ask for what reason you ladies are coming off /off for?

Because they don’t suit
Or
Because your anxiety/depression is better?

MinaPaws Mon 14-May-18 14:03:59

Hi

Just wanted to wish you good luck.

I'm currently coming off Fluoxetine after two years on it, following six years on Citalopram which stopped working. So far, it's OK. I'm taking 20mg every three days - had one or two brain zaps and emotional surges but nothing horrendous. I'm sick of living the emotional half-life that ADs create. I want to feel things again, bad and good. And want my brain back and my personality. Especially on Citalopram I just felt like a fat, smiley zombie. On Prozac it's been different - just a bit emotionally flattened out.

useruserbored Mon 14-May-18 17:02:24

Haribogirl
Because I'm on a good road and feel I don't need them anymore. Managed 2 years without but then back on them x

LandOfOddSocks Mon 14-May-18 17:59:02

@useruserbored mine were in 75mg capsules. I took the capsules apart and counted the beads inside then put them back together again, so I could reduce the dose gradually by smaller increments.

useruserbored Mon 14-May-18 18:08:20

Fuck me landofsocks did you tell your dr you were doing that?!

LandOfOddSocks Mon 14-May-18 19:11:41

No, I didn't. But my GP at the time was awful, just kept increasing the dose when I had a negative reaction to it. confused It worked for me, I came off it almost 10 years ago now and have been much better since. Thankfully I now have a great GP, they are like gold dust.

useruserbored Mon 14-May-18 19:31:28

God please don't do that again! It doesn't work that way by doing what you did and can be really dangerous x

lardass88 Tue 15-May-18 18:12:49

Just wanted to say I feel your pain... I came off venlaflaxine a couple of years ago and it was horrendous. I was on 175mg and gradually decreased it each week but the last week of coming off it I had to take a week of work. Just couldn't function at all :/ I'm meant to be taking citalopram for my anxiety but I'm too scared because of how bad the venlaflaxine was :/

Trooperslane2 Wed 16-May-18 11:26:25

I'm sick of living the emotional half-life that ADs create. I want to feel things again, bad and good. And want my brain back and my personality

This is exactly me.

Pretty bad night last night..... I've also just come home from a dear friend's DDad's funeral so feeling pretty low. Couldn't stay for the full service because I was shaking so much.

I saw her out side the chapel so she know's I was there for as much I could bear

DM died 4 years ago but in situations like that it still feels very raw... both Requiem Mass so taken right back.

BUT: the sun is shining
I'm bribing DH to buy me a cone when I meet him at lunch time
.... the cleaner is coming so I'll have a lovely smelling, organised ish house when I get in.

Two more days to get through on this awful stuff, then I'm solo.

For those of you saying you're scared - I get it; I really do.

Citalopram worked for me Lard I'm sure you're neither a lard ass or 88 for years; might be worth a go?

I am also incredibly lucky that I can get a GP appointment quickly and that I don't need to be fussy who I see because they are all brilliant.

Trooperslane2 Wed 16-May-18 11:26:53

*knows. FFS

Trooperslane2 Wed 16-May-18 11:27:27

And flowers to anyone feeling bad today.

It's great to hear from people like socks who've got there.

HariboIsMyCrack Wed 16-May-18 11:36:02

Hello troopers

Just to wish you luck. I tapered down my Venlafaxine to 37.5mg a day when I got pregnant with DS but I am back up to 150mg again now. Tbh it's the only AD that has ever worked for me and god knows I tried a lot! I know how difficult withdrawal is though so I just wanted to give you a virtual back slap and some flowers You are doing great.

LandOfOddSocks Wed 16-May-18 19:11:58

You're doing so well @Trooperslane2. Nearly there!

Haribogirl Wed 16-May-18 23:35:07

Troopers
What dose you on?

Trooperslane2 Thu 17-May-18 16:01:57

Thanks all you lovely people

I was on 75mg, been feeling weird and absolutely bananas dreams like having sex with my old boss oh holy fuck that would/will never happen even if hell freezes over

I'm very tired all the time but that's because I'm not getting a great sleep and also because I'm really not eating - I've lost 2 stone every cloud, not really and my counsellor wants me to see a nutritionist/dietician because she's worried I'm malnourished.

That's for the back slaps and flowers and the same to you all too

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: