Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How to live with depression

(8 Posts)
Bakingberry Mon 23-Apr-18 19:01:13

Just looking for some practical ways I can manage depression. Things have got on top of me over the last few months and I'm struggling to keep things together.

Babettesidsefreyaallthescandi Tue 24-Apr-18 09:53:30

Hi,
I am trying to manage my depression too and opened a thread a couple of weeks ago on which I had some very good suggestions so it might be worth looking at that.
I am currently off work as I really did hit rock bottom and I am now two weeks in to taking antidepressants. What about you?

Bakingberry Tue 24-Apr-18 12:28:17

I went to my doctor about this a while back but they just asked me to check what services my employer can provide. I was pretty disappointed. I was on medication when I was in my 20s but I’ve moved to a new area so can’t get to that GP.

I’ll have a look for the other thread you started. Hope the support you are receiving is helping you manage things. flowers

Hefzi Tue 24-Apr-18 14:44:13

Sorry things are hard, OP. I find fresh air and daylight outside is really helpful - whether that's going for a walk or sitting outside with a coffee. Some people swear by exercise. I think it's also important to keep pushing yourself to do things, especially if you feel you'd rather curl up and hide- I've noticed that when I am sliding, the less I do, the less I can do. Though it's hard when you feel like shit. And try letting friends or family know how you're feeling if you think they'd be generally supportive of you - it's easy to isolate yourself, and again, I find the less interaction I have with others, the less I want or feel able to cope with. flowers to you

Bakingberry Tue 24-Apr-18 17:38:47

Thank you Hefz. I recognise a lot of what you say. I think I just need to take small steps to keep myself going, but not take on too much that I feel overwhelmed. I find the less I do the less I feel able to do. I hope you are managing to keep on going through the hard times flowers

Hefzi Wed 25-Apr-18 09:52:12

Baking sending out some flowers your way: I completely agree with you - it's tricky, though, isn't it, trying to negotiate that very delicate balance between doing something and then getting completely overwhelmed. I have stopped trying to plan things like meeting people in town, because I'm turning into a flake, but trying to still go out. One very kind person I feel comfortable asking to meet me for coffee at the supermarket, so I make myself do that every week, as I know otherwise, I will swiftly slip into no contact and it will go on for months otherwise. But step by step, Baking, and better days will come - you're being really proactive posting here, so hopefully, you'll be able to dig your heels in now until you're in a place to climb back up.brew and cake

Bakingberry Sat 28-Apr-18 16:49:49

I'm glad you are still seeing your friend for coffee Hefzi. I've lost contact with a few good people over the years because I've found keeping in touch too overwhelming. I'm in a better place now and have a small group of good people in my life. I'm still just taking things at a pace that I'm comfortable with and that's worked for me this week brewcakethanks

fantasmasgoria1 Sat 28-Apr-18 17:05:25

Are there no other gp surgeries you can change to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: