Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Thinking of going private. (Feeling frustrated)

(7 Posts)
darkriver198868 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:14:55

I am currently under the care of CPN. I suffered two break downs in 4 months. Due to these consequences my children (1 and 4) are going to be adopted. (I agreed)

I was assessed by a court psychartrist has having EUPD and DID. However, my CPN disagrees with the DID diagnosis and for some reason seems to be refusing to refer me to the kind of therapy that I need.

One minute were going to CBT. Then next we were going to do DBT. Now she has admitted the trust doesnt fund either of those treatments.

I am aware the waiting list for trauma based therapy is long.

I have recently been awarded PIP and considering using some of that to find private therapist and fund the treatment myself. I get Enhanced Daily Living and Standard Mobility.

However, the last time I tried this in May I was criticized for doing it.

CableKnitHuman Tue 13-Mar-18 21:43:07

Can you not ask your GP to refer you to your tertiary trauma focused service? Where abouts are you located?

I'm very sorry to read your children will be adopted. I hope you get the help and support you need.

darkriver198868 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:44:13

They wont do anything now I am under the CPN.

CableKnitHuman Tue 13-Mar-18 21:46:38

That's awful; they should still be ensuring you are referred to the appropriate places to received care. Can you change either CPN or GP?

darkriver198868 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:55:23

No there is no point anyway as I am moving in 3 months. sad

She refuses to discuss the DID at all. When I told her I was struggling with symptoms she told me "To put them to bed." When I asked for a referall to supported accomadation as facing homelessness. I was told I was to "well"

Its frustrating and invalidating.

Wingingit321 Wed 14-Mar-18 06:32:00

Sorry to hear all this river.
If you can afford it I would go private. You’ll get to choose your therapist and your time scale won’t be dictated by he nhs. I’m 10 months into it and I’m pretty sure I’m going to still be at it in another year. I also have a dissociative disorder and cptsd . Take good care of yourself

ihatethecold Wed 14-Mar-18 07:00:55

Hey op.
My dd has mental health issues. We couldn’t get the right support on the nhs so we went private.
I can honestly say it feels like everyone is winging it.
I am shocked at how crap they seem to be.
It’s very expensive and pretty useless.

Please do research before you go with someone.
We have tried 3 people privately so far. My daughter stayed with one therapist for 6 months but she really didn’t improve.
She gets fed up of having to see someone new and having to start from scratch again.
Some of the clinics near me have long waiting lists because the local services are so over stretched.

I don’t want to be the bearer of gloom but it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.
We really thought if we put mon y into her care and help she would be given effective therapy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: