Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Escitalopram increase dose or switch

(11 Posts)
CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Tue 13-Mar-18 17:32:40

Hi, looking for some advice.
I had a breakdown of sorts in 2016 and started on citalopram 10mg as couldn't tolerate the side effects at 20mg. Things got better and was on them 18 months but looking back I began to slip into anxious depressive state for about 12 months.
I have quite bad health related anxiety so when I do not feel great I start 'researching' I decided that a changed of ssri was what I needed, looking back I probable should have gone for a dose increase. However the GP went along with it and I'm now on Escitalopram 10mg.
I'm still anxious and depressed although not as bad. But also so unmotivated and feel dead inside. Around my period I also feel like everyone would be better off if I wasn't here which I know isn't right.

GP wants to increase my Escitalopram dose. But my short term memory is shot to pieces on this drug and I don't feel myself on it. No joy etc.

I'm thinking that I should change and try another drug, perhaps fluoxetine as it has been shown to help with PMT/PMDD which I feel has a part to play in my illness.
I'm really confused and done trust myself.
Not sure what I'm asking really!
Anyone had experience of where I am now? People seem to think Escitalopram is great so I wonder if I'll regret my decision to change.

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Tue 13-Mar-18 17:33:55

So many typos!! Apologies

AuntyElle Tue 13-Mar-18 19:19:57

I’m on escitalopram and have never found it did much for me. I don’t have any answers, I’m afraid.
Could you be perimenopausal as well?
flowers

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Tue 13-Mar-18 21:48:13

I do wonder that Aunty Elle, my gynaecologist didn’t seem to think so and just recommended the coil but as I’m so anxious I didn’t feel I could cope with worrying about the side effect of that as well!
I’ve been seriously thinking. I think I’m going to try an increase to 15mg and give that a go. If not I’ll switch. This is so difficult

AuntyElle Tue 13-Mar-18 22:09:39

I already had anxiety but now realise that starting peri probably caused it to increase.
If PMT/PMDD is a factor it might be worth reading this: www.studd.co.uk/reproductivedepression.php
Along with the NICE guidelines: www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23/resources/menopause-pdf-718895758021
There’s a thread on here on peri atm that might be helpful.

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Tue 13-Mar-18 22:40:19

Thanks so much Aunty I’ll take a look at that

Regularsizedrudy Tue 13-Mar-18 22:47:15

I was always told that e/citalopram was not really effective at 10mg. I also couldn’t handle the side effects when I started on 20 so I went down to 10 then moved up to 20 and it was so much better... so I would try doing that.

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Wed 14-Mar-18 15:24:08

Thanks for your advice. Am starting 15mg Thursday once I finish work. I’m told that lower doses of ssris are less effective on anxiety so I’m hopeful as this would be equivalent to 30mgs citalopram I was previously on.
Got a call from talking therapy to say I’m on waiting list and it’s at the moment 3 months long so all in all a better day with what feels like a plan.
Now to get through the start up side effects...

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Tue 20-Mar-18 11:59:02

I felt great first 2 days after dose increase now I feel anxious flat and forgetful, is this normal? Can anyone share experience with me please? X

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Tue 20-Mar-18 11:59:19

Sorry for the x! Accident

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Tue 20-Mar-18 13:22:20

I’m really struggling today. Not sure why I’m writing this here, maybe I just feel I need to say it to someone!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: