Talk

Advanced search

Anxiety in pregnancy - am I alone?

(1 Post)
Jaymay Tue 13-Mar-18 12:56:12

Hi. I have posted this query in another thread but thought it might be useful to create a new thread too.
I wondered if anyone could give me some feedback and let me know whether I am alone in my feelings? My husband and I have been together for 15 years and married for 7. At Christmas we both decided to loose some weight then in Feb start to try for a baby. Because I have irregular periods we thought it would take some time and have a holiday in the UK booked for June with the idea that if nothing happened by then we would go the GP. 3 weeks later and we've just found out we're pregnant. I knew even before we did the test as my period was odd, I had strange pains, knackered and needing to wee constantly.
The problem is that I am quite an anxious person. Never sought any help but I get claustrophobic in the car, on a plane, on a train etc. Have a fear of blood, needles etc.
Since finding out I'm pregnant I've really gone into a bit of a panic! It's just come so quickly I can't take it in! I feel ok about it one minute, then the next just can't cope with the idea of being pregnant and am terrified what sort of a parent I will be!
This is causing a massive lack of appetite (am forcing myself to eat to try to reduce symptoms of dizziness etc) and as you can tell seeing as it's 4:39am am unable to sleep! In bed I just start panicking about how our lives will change, how I will be when pregnant, how I hate blood tests, I can't stand the idea of giving birth etc and I lie here feeling hot, sweaty with a racing heart all night!
My main fears are me / baby (although that's scary to even say) not getting enough food due to my lost appetite, the racing heart causing illness to me / baby and finally coping with a busy job on minimal sleep (about 3.5 hrs fitful sleep so far and need to be up for work in an hour and a quarter!).
Anyway I read that writing down fears may help and understanding you are not alone. Is anyone else out there feeling the same?
Hope to hear from you soon

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: