Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Being assessed for late onset bipolar and feeling scared and overwhelmed

(2 Posts)
Babettesidsefreyaallthescandi Mon 12-Mar-18 16:18:48

I had a slightly manic episode in late November and recovered quickly and was able to get back to work - I also had a kidney infection at the same time and it was thought that this may have caused some of the confusion/mania. However, in the last two weeks I have had to stop work and am suffering with anxiety and low mood. It is almost like the enormity of what happened to me has just hit me. Anyway, I have been referred to the mental health team and today I saw their doctor who told me that they were trying to rule out late onset bipolar disorder. This has really scared me. I should also add that over the last few years I have had huge perimenopausal and now menopausal issues which have affected my mood and general wellbeing.
On reading the information on bipolar, I don't seem to fit the picture as I didn't have full blown mania and was certainly not energetic. Anyone else been in a similar position?

Babettesidsefreyaallthescandi Tue 13-Mar-18 17:01:54

Anyone? I would really appreciate any advice. I have just started to take quetiapine and worried about the weight gain side effects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now