Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Warned off antidepressants?

(19 Posts)
kangamam Sun 11-Mar-18 19:04:08

Just feeling a bit low really after a conversation with my sister last night. I opened up to her and told her the doctor had prescribed me antidepressants (sertraline) but I hadn't taken any yet.

She gave me this huge thing about how they really should be a last resort and it doesn't sound to her like I'm 'at that point'. She then asked me to describe what I told the doctor and I did and she said 'well I have felt like that too, in fact probably worse, and I didn't take anything. I think you need to wait it out.'

Fact is I have suffered for a long time. It is only now when I am at the point where I can't physically get through a day without crying and just don't see a way out anymore that I've been prescribed anything. I feel so bloody low and I can't cope.

I'm now even more nervous to take them than I already was. Is she right?

SureIusedtobetaller Sun 11-Mar-18 19:07:44

She is not. Only you know how you feel. If you are feeling very low then antidepressants can give you enough “lift” to find support in other ways. People who judge others for taking them really annoy me. You take meds for other illnesses, I don’t see why it’s different.
Just remember the first few days on Sertraline can be a bit of a trial - but it doesn’t last long.

Frogthefrog Sun 11-Mar-18 19:08:21

I took anti-depressants for 6 months and they helped me immensely. I was still functioning and from the outside no one knew anything was wrong but on the inside I was really struggling.

They don't have to be a long term thing. I would listen to your doctor and not your sister.

Kelvingrove Sun 11-Mar-18 19:09:40

Is your sister qualified in this area? I am absolutely sure she loves you and cares for you and thinks she is helping but I would listen to the doctor.

zeeboo Sun 11-Mar-18 19:11:16

Your sister is talking utter rubbish. Your Dr has spoken to you, heard you and believes this is a good treatment for you. I've been on Sertrine for years and I love it.

Dancingfairydreams Sun 11-Mar-18 19:13:10

Not your sisters feelings, body or bloody choice! In theory yes they should be a last resort bit tbh if you have gone to the docs you are obviously of the opinion you would benefit from them, to which there is no shame. I'm currently on antidepressants, they give me that kick to get going. Did the GP offer any other help? Talking therapy? Groups etc? If Not, ask next time. Wishing you good thoughts x

Ijustwantabloodyusername Sun 11-Mar-18 19:20:46

Well done on going to the Drs. It's incredibly difficult to take that first step.

Your Sister really shouldn't project her thoughts and/or beliefs on to you.

Please take them as prescribed by your Dr.

I hope they start to help you soon. thanks

Getoffthetableplease Sun 11-Mar-18 19:23:42

No, I absolutely don't agree with her. Fwiw I wish I had started sertraline way earlier than I did. Give it a go, I'm sure you'll soon see smile

AntiHop Sun 11-Mar-18 19:27:59

Tell her to butt out. Your gp has made a clinical decision and is qualified to do so. Your sister is giving you her uninformed decision. Take the medication. You deserve to feel better.

Lifeaback Sun 11-Mar-18 19:31:00

It is your life, not your sisters. The fact that you went to the gp, and were prescribed anti-depressants makes it very clear that you are not well and would benefit from them. When it comes to our mental health issues, we tend to downplay them when talking to others so whilst it's understandable that she feels the way she does, it's totally unfair of her to project her views onto you.

Sertraline was just what I needed to give me a boost and help me out of my depression, which wasn't severe but was unwavering and was impacting my life, although from the outside I definitely appeared to be functioning. The notion that you should wait it out is ridiculous- if you've been feeling low for some time then you have already tried that, and she wouldn't reccomend that you 'waited out' a cancer diagnosis!

Well done for getting yourself to the GP, you have started yourself on the road to feeling better. Ignore her flowers

Makingworkwork Sun 11-Mar-18 19:31:39

If you had broken your leg or had another illness would you listen to your sister’s advice over your Doctors’s advice? I doubt it.

Antidepressants work.

Squeegle Sun 11-Mar-18 19:35:11

Oh my goodness, what qualifies her to talk like this? Antidepressants these days have saved a lot of people. I’ve seen the evidence with my XP- he was absolutely at the end of his tether (very serious), antidepressants have helped him climb out, and given him back his personality. Please do your own research ; they’re not magic and there can be side effects - but they can be a real boon. Don’t let her confuse you flowers

SilverHairedCat Sun 11-Mar-18 19:35:56

Your sister is a tit.

I'm on sertraline, I was like you with the tears and sadness. 3 months later and I'm much more stable. Only cried twice outside of counselling appointments. Compared to multiple episodes a day, it's amazing.

Please take the tablets, it's no different to taking, IMO, insulin, antibiotics, or any other essential medication.

Huge unmumsnetty hugs to you, and your sister can kiss my arse. 😎

kangamam Sun 11-Mar-18 20:21:03

Thanks everyone. I will definitely be taking them then. I can't carry on like this.

I find it difficult because I do downplay it a lot. I went to the doctors about 2 years ago and was essentially told to try and manage it myself, so I never went back. On this occasion, it wasn't actually me going. I took my DD to a routine appointment for something minor and ended up in tears. This doctor obviously saw that wasn't quite right so she asked me to come back the next day. Finally being told that I DID need help was a huge relief so it was hard to hear her say she didn't think I did.

Dancing fairy - she has referred me for talking therapy as well and I have an appointment tomorrow, and then I will be put on the waiting list so hopefully that helps too.

KochabRising Sun 11-Mar-18 20:30:58

No she is wrong.

Antidepressants can be a valuable tool in helping you with depression and anxiety. They don’t work for everyone but they tend to work better in people at the more severe end of the spectrum. Sometimes you need to try a few different ones to find one that suits.
Take them, see how you get on and use the talking therapy too

BerkInBag Sun 11-Mar-18 20:33:09

Please trust how you feel and the advice of your GP. Your sister us giving bad advice. Antidepressants aren't the last resort, they work very well in combination with talking therapies and I really hope you find that to be the case.

hazellia2882 Sun 11-Mar-18 22:59:50

It's absolutely fine to take sertraline, I suffer from mental health illness (pre pregnancy) and my mental health midwife said it is so safe that it's the first medicine they put pregnant mothers on when they are feeling low, and you can even take it whilst breast feeding. She said in all the years she's worked in mental health midwifery she's never had a baby born with any addiction/problems related to the medication. I'm on a very high dose and she wasn't at all concerned!! Also I've found it very effective, and your baby needs a happy healthy mummy, that's the most important thing!

Blogwoman Sun 11-Mar-18 23:05:19

My DD started on sertraline a few months ago & it has been a transforming thing for her. I only wish she’d had them sooner. I really hope you find they help you OP. She did have side effects for a short time but they passed. People so often judge mental health problems in a way they wouldn’t physical ones - it sucks.

LuckyBitches Tue 13-Mar-18 13:29:17

it's your body and mind, not your sisters. Sertraline has helped me in the past. Anti-depressants seem to have a taboo surrounding them, but once you're open about your own use of them you might find that lots of people you know do, as well!

And they're really not addictive, IME.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: