Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can i please ask for a health anxiety hand hold?

(8 Posts)
Bubblegumfan Mon 12-Feb-18 20:05:20

I am planning going to the drs on wednesday but i really need talking down off the ledge!
For the past few days i have been feeling as if i have problems swallowing as if there is something in my throat as well as a horrible heavy/swollen feeling all around my neck, almost as if someone has their hand round my throat constantly?!
So im my head I have already diagnosed throat cancer (i havent googled symptoms or else i would go in to meltdown)
Can i please have a hand hold? Can anyone talk some sense and rational thinking to me?

ChelseaDagg3r Mon 12-Feb-18 20:09:14

Well I can tell you that you haven't got throat cancer and I'm not even a doctor! I haven't even clapped eyes on you in my life but I'd still put my house on it smile

When you go for your appointment tell the doctor you're there for health anxiety. Tell him your symptoms and that you've diagnosed yourself with throat cancer but that the sane side of your brain knows full well you're suffering with health anxiety

That, as you know, is your issue here that needs dealing with

Bubblegumfan Mon 12-Feb-18 20:12:42

I hate how sometimes my rational brain just ups and leaves sometimes blush

ChelseaDagg3r Mon 12-Feb-18 20:46:54

Annoying isn't it? Just step away from google and tell yourself to stop being silly. Sometimes it's as simple as that to sort of snap yourself out of it for a while

Long term you might need other strategies of course

Bunting9 Tue 13-Feb-18 02:20:43

This Could well be globus, which is a well known symptom of anxiety! It means nothing is wrong even though it feels like it is. Does your anxiety manifest itself in any other physical ways? (I am champion at it). Acid Reflux can also cause symptoms like that too.

It is a horrible sensation and indeed very frightening - I've had it - but one of the above scenarios which aren't catastrophic are hugely more likely probabilities than what you are thinking. But big hand hold for you, I really know how you're feeling. Let us know how you get on.

Bubblegumfan Tue 13-Feb-18 10:45:58

Feeling a better today.
Going to see gp tomorrow to rule out anything else.
My health anxiety has no other manifestations. And overall I am not an anxious person, I work in mental health so iv engaged in lots of personal understanding and strategies. The biggest strategy I have leanrt is to not do it alone, sometimes just reaching out can help. So thank you ladies

gottachangethename1 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:53:20

I get the same symptoms op, but finally understand it’s as a result of my anxiety. I also get other symptoms which I automatically link to cancer, but have now become apparent are in fact perimenopause related. I feel for you, health anxiety is shit.

youngnomore Tue 13-Feb-18 10:57:58

I have this too and recently found out I have terrible reflux which is causing mine. Not sure if that’s what you have but just noticed you have similar symptoms as mine. It could also be anxiety.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: