Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Treating O.D.D. with Ritalin? Anyone with experience of this, please help!

(3 Posts)
SpaceOddityDumbFounded Sat 10-Feb-18 16:48:37

My 12 year old has just been diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder. This has been going on since he turned three and causing a very unhappy and conflictive family life so I´m relieved to actually have SOMEBODY confirm what´s going on with him! He shows no signs of AD or ADHD which seem to often be the underlying problem, and is bright academically with a long attention span for things that interest him, but very short tolerance for anything he deems boring (most things not involving computer screens!). There may well be a smidgen of Autism at play but if so, it´s very mild.
His behaviour is often horrible, conflictive, angry, shouty and argumentative all day long....although there are sometimes spells of better cooperation.(when he has his way and nobody is telling him, "no") He picks on his younger brother relentlessly and is just a constant source of unhappiness for our family of four. We have consulted a psychologist who is actually a family friend, and she has told us he would benefit from Ritalin.
There´s a genetic basis here, as other males in my DH´s family are very similar so I feel that medication may well be ncessary since the cause may be at least partly physiological. I´d welcome all comments, advice or input as it´s quite a scary step to reach for meds but he´s incredibly hard to reach through talking/ therapy alone. Thanks all!

SpaceOddityDumbFounded Sun 11-Feb-18 11:17:04

Nobody then sad

PersianCatLady Tue 20-Feb-18 21:25:00

Although your DS shows no sign of ADHD I think that letting him have a drug trial of Ritalin may help him.

Until I was diagnosed with ADHD (aged 27) I thought that it was a term that was used to refer to "naughty kids", I now know differently.

When he was diagnosed with ODD, did the psychiatrist specifically say that your DS does not have ADHD or is it just your opinion that he doesn't have it??

I think that where somebody has an issue that could possibly be helped with medication, then it is always worth trying that medication unless there is a really good reason not to try it.

I found these links about methylphenidate (Ritalin) and ODD and ADHD. Maybe they will be helpful to you??

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18474932

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15273834

www.kenniscentrum-kjp.nl/en/professionals/Disorders/ODD-CD/Medication-8/Stimulants-2

www.scielo.br/pdf/anp/v62n2b/a05v622b.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now