Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Personality Disorder Diagnosis for DH

(6 Posts)
MINKY75 Sat 10-Feb-18 13:15:51

My husband walked away from our family the week before Xmas after havING some kind of mental breakdown. Since then he has been (in his own words) full of melancholy and mania, has expressed a want to kill himself and become insomniac. He has been prescribed antidepressants which he is taking and his symptoms have improved. He is still adamant however that our marriage is over. We have the same GP and she has gently suggested that he is just a man just trying to leave his wife. Erm...what about all the other mental health stuff and the fact that we were the happiest couple in our friendship group???She has said mental health issues do not appear overnight (he is now saying he wanted to self harm since he was 15) and the only thin g that she can suggest is that he has a personality disorder. I know very little about this...can anyone help by explaining if this sounds plausible??? He is functioning bur feeling no emotion and can only show anger and contempt for me despite nothing happening for me to deserve this.

Digestive28 Sat 10-Feb-18 13:18:22

Sorry you are having a tough time. To find out more about personality disorder I would highly recommend “out of the fog” website if you give it a google it is an amazing source of knowledge and more than can be written in a few lines here

MINKY75 Sat 10-Feb-18 16:50:49

Thank you. X

thethoughtfox Sat 10-Feb-18 17:30:33

It sounds like he has told her he wants to leave you and she is telling as as much as she legally can. I'm so sorry.

MINKY75 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:08:01

Thanks for your reply. I KNOW he has definitely told her he wants to leave but the GP has suggested that he has a personality disorder which I would like advice on. Many thanks though.

Aintgotnosoapbox Sat 10-Feb-18 22:35:05

I don't think the GP can really assess and diagnose this condition- I think it would be more of a specialist diagnosis.
I would suggest ask him for more information, and see if he will ask the GP fir a psychiatric referral. If he is manic or psychotic, different medication may be required.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now