Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Postpartum depression

(2 Posts)
Nurse15 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:29:44

My baby is 10 months old now, we've had a really rough start with her screaming constantly until she was 16 weeks old. Reflux and poor feeding have made giving her a bottle / breastfeeding a nightmare and I dread every feed. She's obviously now weaned and so this is improving but still takes 2 bottles a day. I don't feel like I've bonded with her well. I feel she would be better off with someone else as her mum and that she's miserable with me. I have suspected from she was very small that I have pnd but haven't seen anyone yet. I have a gp appointment tomorrow, what treatment are they likely to offer me? Also how do I discuss this with the gp!!

IlikemyTeahot Sat 10-Feb-18 01:01:26

Hi Nurse first of all can I just say well done. You did the right thing by going to the G.P.
I had these feelings with my 2nd DC and we also had a lot of difficulties and I felt I hadnt bonded in the same way I did with my first but that was just the pnd (which took me 3 years to have the guts to see somebody about!)
I personally didn't take to the medication but I understand how it works for some (I'm naturally quite hyperactive and felt that it dulled me down a little) I chose to try the cognitive behaviour therapy instead and I can honestly say that it helped me. Not just by having someone to talk to but also being given advice on how to understand my thoughts and feelings and how I could change them. That was a very long time ago and me and dc2 are very close now. I've since had my 3rd and I found that when I was feeling low I used the techniques I learned the last time. I think the main thing is to make sure you are getting enough rest, support etc because it's easy to feel like crap when your struggling and that in turn lets those negative thoughts in.
I hope that went to that appointment and had some time to think about what is best for you. flowers
brew

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: