Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

MH and Spiritual Teachings.

(11 Posts)
noego Thu 08-Feb-18 12:48:14

Could teachings from Buddhism, Taoism, Vedanta teachers help with MH?
Mindful meditations and being taught peace and calmness from an enlightened teacher could help in reducing anxiety and depression amongst other MH issues.
Do you think it would help you?

dangermouseisace Fri 09-Feb-18 17:07:26

I've found some zen Buddhist stuff helpful.

Howlongtilldinner Sat 10-Feb-18 08:41:48

I’m going to start going to a meditation circle.

Aintgotnosoapbox Sun 11-Feb-18 10:55:10

Who is asking - what is your experience OP?

noego Sun 11-Feb-18 14:14:58

When all avenues have been exhausted, is this another way? Is this a better way?

TitaniasCloset Sun 11-Feb-18 15:11:10

I have found Islam and Christianity very helpful. Buddhism and meditation and the like are not for me, that would just make me feel worse. I tried a meditation class once and I really didn't like it. But so long as it's not being shoved in the clients face or used to replace actual therapy I can't see the harm.

noego Sun 11-Feb-18 16:25:52

Vedanta teachings embrace all faiths. Meditation classes when done correctly can help you observe those negative thoughts that lead to MH issues. The higher meditation that Vedanta teaches, brings about an awareness of those thoughts and shows you how to be an observer of those thoughts without attachment or belief in them.

dangermouseisace Sun 11-Feb-18 19:33:10

Yeah meditation can help someone feel calmer and 'observe' thoughts.

There is a limit to how useful that is though- for example being very calm about suicidal thoughts can be dangerous, and observing delusional thinking will not necessarily stop people believing the delusion.

But these things can be useful, for some people, some of the time.

TitaniasCloset Sun 11-Feb-18 23:53:44

It's not useful for me. I have a severe mental health issue that includes psychosis mania and severe depression. Meditation made me feel worse. I have my own strategies of dealing with things. I find prayer quite useful as is distraction.

TitaniasCloset Sun 11-Feb-18 23:54:07

Yes dangermouse exactly.

Aintgotnosoapbox Mon 12-Feb-18 00:00:13

Many integrative therapists use mindfulness as one of their tools, and it's used a lot in the NHS as a skill for coping and increasing well being. Mindfulness and meditation is basically mind training to be more an observer of the mind and not get preoccupied or hooked into thoughts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: