Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Teenager on Fluoxetine

(6 Posts)
jeanette1971 Tue 06-Feb-18 10:49:07

Hi guys
I am totally new to this so please bear with me, I am looking for others who have had similar experiences as I am at my wits end !!
I have a 16 year old boy who last year started with severe depression and anxiety. This was so unexpected as he appeared to be a happy, outgoing, sociable funny teenage. No one believes me when I tell them how depressed and anxious he is. He was fast tracked through CAMHS as he had suicidal thoughts. He started CAMHS CBT in September last year and has just finished his 12 sessions.

He started Fluoxetine 10mg at the end of October and it was increased to 20mg at the end of November. He had terrible side effects feeling worse than ever, to date, it does not appear that Fluoxetine has made a huge difference and last week which was week 15, he was worse than ever with his anxiety although the depression is better.

Can anyone out there who has been through similar advise if this is normal after 15 weeks to not be any better and in fact be worse. The anxiety is at an all time high and the tiredness and fatigue is just as bad, if he is not anxious, he is exhausted all day. He is trying his best with diet, exercise, calming techniques but not getting anywhere.

Is the Fluoxetine not working at all ?? I really would appreciate any comments from a very worried mum.
Thanks in advance
Jeanette

Coconutty89 Tue 06-Feb-18 10:52:09

Ive been on numerous antidepressants and anxeity meds and fluoxitine was awful for me. They don't work for everyone I'd suggest taking him back to docs for a review and maybe a change.
Citalopram and escitalopram were great for Me, now I'm on vexir (I think that's how you spell it!) And they've really helped x hope he feels better soon!

BeachyUmbrella Tue 06-Feb-18 10:58:26

I have a 16 yo ds, also on Fluroxetine, currently 30mg daily. He started on Sertraline, but it really didn't agree with him. As Coco says, what works for one doesn't work for another. Strangely the fluroxetine has helped ds's anxiety but not his depression as much.

I would take him back for a meds review. I know the choices for U18's are pretty much those two drugs (from what I understand), but it would be investigating an alternative....

Keep going, it's exhausting, isn't it.

Millymolly21 Sun 11-Feb-18 16:52:42

My ds17 was on fluoxetine last year 10mg. It did seem to help but as soon as he felt better . On it for 3 months he took himself back of it as he felt he was now ok. After about 2 months signs of depression started to appear again. Failing to go to classes, lack of college work.lack of motivation, tired all the time, self medicating with booze and or weed. Getting angry with teachers etc. This has been goin* on since October. He is resistant to going back to the GP and also can convince professionals who meet him for short periods that all is well and he is in control. Sorry no help for you.
I would go back to the GP and discuss the meds. At least it sounds as if he is open to help.

GeorgeTheHamster Sun 11-Feb-18 16:54:59

My DS started fluoxetine at 18. After six months his psychiatrist (we went private) said he wasn't making as much progress as he should have been and moved him onto venlafaxine. It isn't unusual for someone to have to try more than one type of medication before they find one that suits them.

jeanette1971 Thu 15-Feb-18 12:26:25

Hi guys
Just an update, I took him back to the psychiatrist last Thursday who suggested coming off Fluoxetine (which he has been on 20mg for about 15 weeks with very little change) and starting Sertraline.
He reduced the Fluoxetine from 20mg to 10mg, he is on day 5 of reduced dose Fluoxetine and although the tiredness is better, he says he feels worse than ever with the worries and low mood. He is due to start on 25mg of Sertraline tomorrow for one week and then go to 50mg. I am really worried as he is seeing no light at the end of the tunnel, I am just hoping that the switch is what is needed
Thanks all for your comments - I will keep you posted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now