Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Depressed about eye floaters--any positive stories?

(66 Posts)
ellak Sun 17-Dec-17 02:55:28

I got eye floaters 6 months ago and now see them everywhere in bright sunlight, against white sky and in artificial white light.

I see black dots (like mosquitos) and squiggly translucent worm-like lines. I find it really hard to not see them and they are really making me anxious and depressed. My husband and I travel a lot for work and I really just want to get on with it and enjoy life again. I feel like they are a major obstacle.

I heard from a few people that you stop seeing them after a while--does this really happen? I can't imagine it ever happening as I see them everywhere.

furryelephant Sun 17-Dec-17 02:58:45

I got them when I was a teenager, I really barely notice them anymore (mid 20s)! When I’m tired is the only time I ever think about them to be honest, the rest of the time they’re just.. there smile

ellak Sun 17-Dec-17 03:20:34

Thanks furryelephant, did they bother you initially? How long did it take for you to notice them? Do you have many/what do they look like?

I keep reading about people who recommend just learning to ignore them, but they're all over my vision and really upset me/freak me out.

Whisky2014 Sun 17-Dec-17 03:22:15

I get this. I don't know how often because it doesn't bother me. Thought it was normal and I also didn't think they just randomly happen at some time...they just always are there?

Whisky2014 Sun 17-Dec-17 03:22:50

I think you need to see a dr.

Whisky2014 Sun 17-Dec-17 03:23:23

Optician i mean!

serenmoon Sun 17-Dec-17 03:28:13

Have you been to have your eyes checked? If so and they are just floaters then although annoying they are totally harmless. I developed loads in my early twenties (am very shortsighted) and like you they really got me down because I saw them constantly. I hated looking at cloudy skies or white walls because all I could see were the floaters. It's absolutely true that your brain eventually ignores them. I still have mine and can see them if I look for them but they don't bother me at all now,

CactusCactusCactus Sun 17-Dec-17 03:37:31

I felt exactly the same as you. I would second seeing an optician if you've not just to check all is ok.

I have a lot, that came on suddenly and caused me diagnosed anxiety (among other things). I'd say I stopped noticing them after a couple of month.

Honestly they will "go" (brain will tune them out). You'll be ok thanks

hevonbu Sun 17-Dec-17 04:34:27

You'll have to ignore them, there is just no other way! Have you tried meditation or similar?

hevonbu Sun 17-Dec-17 04:35:57

As what they look like -- they look exactly like you've describe them!

Firefries Sun 17-Dec-17 04:46:09

I found taking a break for a couple of days and telling myself that the floaters were like a sickness (eg flu or other ailment) so I had to take care of myself. Once I did this (rested in bed actually, relaxed loads, closed my eyes etc), and just stepped back from everything, then it came right. I hope you get some relief.

AccrualIntentions Sun 17-Dec-17 04:48:49

I developed quite a few of them about 10 years ago, and they really bothered me. I know it sounds trite but I did just stop noticing them after a while. They got a bit worse when I was pregnant and moved to a new office where everything was white, and it's taken about another 6 months to get used to them all over again.

furryelephant Sun 17-Dec-17 05:25:17

I don’t think it was long until I forgot about them, mine are mainly the squiggly worm type ones you described. After the initial annoyance of them if anything now I watch them when I notice them if that makes sense!

Candyfloss1122 Sun 17-Dec-17 05:31:54

I have EXACTLY what you describe and for years it made me feel like I was going crazy.

I was very stressed at the time which either caused it or made it worse.

I know they are still there, but hardly notice them now. You have to let go of the fear and anxiety around them. I found wearing dark sunglasses when out and about really eased my anxiety.

neverundersold Sun 17-Dec-17 05:51:47

I have been bothered by floaters since my twenties. I recently embarked on a regime of making sure I drink 2 litres of water a day (not because of the floaters, I was just very aware I didn't drink enough water ) for some reason, since I started this, the floaters have lessened. No idea why, but it seems to help.

furryelephant Sun 17-Dec-17 06:14:17

@neverundersold that’s interesting actually, I always noticed them seeming worse the day after drinking which would correlate with being less hydrated blush

ellak Sun 17-Dec-17 12:01:15

Thanks for all your reassuring responses--still so hard to imagine these not ruining my life!

Hey Whiskey, I saw an optometrist and an ophthalmologist--both said they could see the floaters but found no issue such as retinal detachment/a retinal tear. They said obviously if I see flashing lights to go back but they are not concerned and said I just have to learn to live with them.

I got them after a really bad aura migraine paired with an ocular migraine in July. The ophtamologist said she has seen numerous cases of bad headaches causing floaters, the neurologist didn't agree...

Firefries, that's good advice. I'm becoming quite scared of sunlight/big open places which is really sad. My honeymoon is coming up and I go abroad a lot for work. I feel like I can't enjoy life anymore at the moment and keep wanting to stay in dark spaces.

Serenmoon, Furryelephant, Candyfloss, Accruellintentions, Cactus and Neverundersold--how long did it take before you started getting used to them? Did you have many that drifted across the centre of your vision?

I just can't imagine learning to deal with them. I got mine 6 months ago and I can only relax in a dark room or in a forest. I haven't tried meditation though do do yoga. Sometimes I get a headache as my eyes try to focus on them without my permission! It's really ruining my life atm--just had surgery to remove endometriosis and now I feel like everything is wrong with me/I'm broken.

I do wear sunglasses but on bright days I can still see them. That, and I feel weird wearing sunglasses in the subway which is full of bright lights (currently living in Korea).

How do I get used to this? sad

Candyfloss1122 Sun 17-Dec-17 14:10:46

If I'm honest it took a few years...but that's because I was suffering from.anxiety.

I can totally understand how difficult you are finding it. Mine started during exam period, and looking at a bright white piece of paper was very difficult, so they really affected my exams.

Acceptance is key, once you let go of the worry and accept that they are there, you will suddenly reaslised one day that you hardly notice them anymore.

wfrances Sun 17-Dec-17 17:31:27

i have a black out (mine doesn't float ) in my left eye caused by nerve damage
had it since the summer - its still driving me crazy ..
i think its just time and getting used to it .

Fairylea Sun 17-Dec-17 17:36:38

I have really severe ones. I’m very short sighted (-9.50 both eyes) and it’s more common the more short sighted you are, I’ve been checked for retina problems etc. All I can say is that you do get used to it. I spent a large part of last year being really depressed about it, to the point I couldn’t imagine ever being able to see properly again. I noticed them all the time, constantly (they suddenly became worse and that’s what made me notice them). I really felt like my normal carefree life was over.

But - then something else happened with my health. Nothing to do with eyes and funny enough I just sort of forgot about it as it seemed small in comparison and I learned to look “through” them and not follow them with my eyes (which is the worst thing you can do as it’s all you can see afterwards!) and gradually I don’t really notice them now. It sounds crazy but you do adjust to them.

SureIusedtobetaller Sun 17-Dec-17 17:43:10

As others have said, you just stop noticing them. I got them in my thirties, was checked out and told it was all ok. It used to bother me in bright light but I hardly ever notice them now.

helpfulperson Sun 17-Dec-17 19:12:53

Your brain does work around them but it can take longer than 6 months. In a funny way it's like getting over a relationship break up - at first it is there all the time, then you think about them every day, then you realise it has been a few days since you thought about them and eventually you can't remember the last time you noticed them. But it can take a year or so and every so often there will be times when you are more aware them.

CactusCactusCactus Sun 17-Dec-17 20:18:55

I have three or four big stringy ones in each eye, and quite a few smaller ones.

I'd say it took a couple of months. Wearing sunglasses in cloudy or bright light really really helps.

I know it sounds mad but honestly I was so worried just like you are. Felt like it'd ruin my life. But they did just lesson and one day I couldn't really see them at all.

Freshprincess Sun 17-Dec-17 20:32:28

I've had them for years, in fact it was only when I mentioned them to an ex-bf and he had never heard of it that I realised not everyone has them.
I only see them when the light is really bright or I look for them. Most of the time i honestly don't notice them.

What is it that makes you scared?

Halsall Mon 18-Dec-17 08:24:30

ellak, I too had floaters quite badly, and they drove me mad. I was examined by an ophthalmologist and diagnosed with posterior vitreal detachment - which is a common condition and not as scary as it sounds. You can't do anything about it and I was assured that, in time, I'd stop noticing the floaters.

I have. I really have! Perhaps when I'm very tired I'll notice them slightly, but honestly and truthfully, I think my brain has stopped registering them.

If you've been seen medically and given the all-clear, that's great. It's a question of waiting it out. It's difficult, I know, but please believe it will settle down in time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: