Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I still can't cope with my emotional breakdown after having an abortion

(14 Posts)
Topaz89 Tue 05-Dec-17 06:36:13

I've posted a thread on here where I felt suicidal because of a termination I had weeks ago.
I'm still in need of lots of support. I really struggle functioning through the day, but I honestly thought I would start feeling a bit better by now.
Everything is so hard work. I'm so severely depressed and my anxiety is sky high. And I'm very sleep deprived because I haven't slept for 2 days now straight now. The only reason I'm still here is my 3 children.

Please help me sad I'm exhausted by it all.

Bummybum Tue 05-Dec-17 06:38:17

Have you seen a doctor/councillor?

I was where you are once, it gets easier. flowers

LordSugarWillSeeYouNow Tue 05-Dec-17 06:40:58

Hi op, I remember your last thread.

Really sorry to hear you're still struggling with everything. Keep talking, we're here for you flowers

Ps I've been through similar and am still troubled by it 20 years later but have made my peace with what happened. It absolutely does get easier.

Topaz89 Tue 05-Dec-17 06:46:21

I'm having counselling but at the moment it's not really having much of an effect.
One of my friends is pregnant and she is due not long before I was due. I can't even avoid her because she's at school every morning. She had doubts about her pregnancy at first but her partner said you'll love it once its here so she kept it. Nobody said that to me. Nobody made me realise! sad

BeachysFlipFlops Tue 05-Dec-17 06:50:03

Can you go back to the GP and maybe get something for your anxiety, just to get you through this initial stage?

Topaz89 Tue 05-Dec-17 06:51:34

I was taking Sertraline but I had to stop as the anxiety became completely unbearable.

BeachysFlipFlops Wed 06-Dec-17 10:09:46

Go back and try another anti dp. My ds really didn’t get on with Setraline, but Floxetine is working for him....

But do go back to your GP, please....

Bummybum Wed 06-Dec-17 10:46:39

I tried six different ones before I found one that worked.

Bummybum Wed 06-Dec-17 10:47:04

How are you holding up love? X

dangermouseisace Wed 06-Dec-17 13:14:28

Sorry to hear you're still struggling Topaz

I'd ignore what your friends partner said. She's in a relationship, things are easier for her.

You might 'love' a child when it arrives. You might also have felt resentment towards the child in that you couldn't spend the necessary time with your other kids, or that it made it more difficult to sort out your situation with your husband/leave him. You might also have had a miscarriage, or had to have a termination due to abnormalities. You could have had a prem baby and spent months in a unit. You might have had a severely disabled child. You could have had a stillbirth. You might have died in childbirth and left the children without a mother.

There are risks involved in having a child, and your guilt is making you assume that everything would have been ok and rosy. You made the right decision for you and your family Topaz and it was a hard one. Your friend made what she felt to be the right decision for her. Neither of you are wrong. Be kind to yourself flowers and unmumsnetty hugs.

Happinessfinder Wed 06-Dec-17 19:30:56

I’m sorry you are in so much pain. So many women suffer like this after terminations. I wish there was better aftercare for women in this situation. While making this decision often our hormones affect us greatly. What we felt strongly while pregnant can be felt differently when the pregnancy hormones ease off. I haven’t read your previous thread but can imagine your decision was what you felt was right at the time. We can’t control the past but we can control the future. Please go and see your gp and get some help. You are not alone in feeling like this but it can get better x

Happinessfinder Wed 06-Dec-17 19:36:40

If you don’t feel you have the strength for yourself please do it for your three children. Show them by example how to find a way out when anxiety and depression are overwhelming. Show them how a person can get better. Believe me you are the most important person in the world to them no one would ever replace you and they would never ever be better off without you x

Topaz89 Thu 07-Dec-17 05:15:35

Thank you everyone.
I have had an ok couple of days but since I woke up at 2am I've not been able to get back to sleep. I'm just feeling so so empty and I've been reading stories about women that never feel better after having a termination. I don't want to feel like this forever sad I can't believe what I've done 😢☹️

Bummybum Thu 07-Dec-17 10:50:17

That isn't true. You WILL feel better. I promise you. I couldn't see a way out after mine, I'd actually changed my mind, was too far along in the process (back when they were all medical). I wasn't even given anything to bliss me out a bit. It was a horror show. And it went wrong.

Anyway, long story short, I felt as you do, I tried to take my own life twice. I ended up under mental health care and then under extended house watch for a long time.

Now, I am almost at peace with it. I say almost because there is the odd day where I feel some wistful regret but I promise you, it DOES get so much easier.

I actually spoke to a friend about it the other night (I've told very few people) in an objective a fairly detached way. You'll get there too someday.

Take each day as it comes, no more. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now