Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Crisis line. Keeping myself safe

(39 Posts)
BraveButShaking Mon 04-Dec-17 21:37:31

What happens when you call your MH crisis line?

Also what would happen if I told my surgery that I didn’t feel safe having my meds in my home in case things got too much?

HooraySunshine Tue 05-Dec-17 01:20:09

The MH crisis line will ask you a series of questions and the action they take/recommend will depend upon your responses to the questions.

If you do not feel safe keeping your medications in your home, then you need to tell your surgery or call NHS 111 tonight for advice.

If you feel you need immediate help/support, please dial 999 now.

I hope you find the help/support you need. Good luck!

BraveButShaking Tue 05-Dec-17 07:01:00

Thank you.
I am really worried that telling my surgery will set things in motion which are out of my control.

HooraySunshine Tue 05-Dec-17 10:40:58

Is there a friend or family member you could speak with? Otherwise, it would be best to speak with your GP or phone the MH line to discuss your concerns. Have you tried counselling? You might find it helpful to talk through any issues you might be having. You could try contacting Mind: www.mind.org.uk/need-urgent-help/?ctaId=/need-urgent-help/using-this-tool/slices/using-this-tool/

Have a look at that weblink as there is a lot of useful information there.

There is help available, you just need to find what works best for you! smile

anna231a Tue 05-Dec-17 11:01:14

Telling my GP was very helpful - I was referred to MH services and they gave me a choice in everything they’ve done. For me there was such relief in handing things over to people who care instead of struggling on like I had been. They didn’t impose anything - they gave me options and I chose. I was scared I would be hospitalised and that was one of the options but they gave me other options too. It was a relief to be listened to with understanding. I appreciate MH services vary from region to region but I’d say don’t be worried about approaching them.

BraveButShaking Tue 05-Dec-17 11:07:58

Thank you. I don't want to share my feelings with family or friends because I don't want them to feel the responsibility of telling someone professional.

I am under the care of the MH team already (and have their crisis number). My GP is aware of everything, just not how bad I'm feeling right now.

Ishouldcocomonkey Wed 06-Dec-17 20:35:23

How are you today brave?
I think someone does need to know if you are feeling like an OD is a risk.

Your surgery could do a weekly script so you have less meds at home- easily done via local pharmacy, you wouldn’t need to collect an actual script each week

But I think your GP should know. They can help you and find some mental health support

If you are having more than a fleeting thought and feel there is a risk you will harm yourself then please go to A&E or call 999 or even the Samaritans.

I’m sorry you feel so bad.
Is anyone home with you?

BraveButShaking Wed 06-Dec-17 22:53:52

Thank you monkey
Have been up and down all day.
I haven’t touched my meds - too afraid to open the new box. Know I may get withdrawal symptoms now.

I have been emailing Samaritans; they seem to reply within 24hrs and are very kind.

My youngest son (8) is with me.

I’m ok I think but know that something small may tip the balance and I’m impulsive.

Ishouldcocomonkey Fri 08-Dec-17 16:34:43

Hope you are a bit better?
Please seek help if you aren’t especially if you have your son present.
Sorry you are so low. It sucks.

BraveButShaking Sun 17-Dec-17 21:58:43

I don’t feel in immediate danger.
I haven’t told anyone (apart from samaritans) how I’ve been feeling.

Have MH appointment on Thursday.
My older son is home from university for the Xmas break.

Noicecupoftea Mon 18-Dec-17 22:50:05

I hope you can be honest at your MH assessment. That is what they are there for.

I’m glad you have your children home and can take strength from that but please put in place some support for when your eldest returns to university after Christmas in case you have a dip. Especially if you have stopped your medication.

BraveButShaking Mon 18-Dec-17 23:10:24

It’s not an assessment, I’ve been seeing the team since late spring.
It’s the ED nurse this week who I have seen most frequently.
I always get very wound up before an appt, and they either go terribly ie I just can’t talk or I am able to feel comfortable and open up.

BraveButShaking Wed 20-Dec-17 16:46:13

Ahem.....so my libido has returned since I stopped taking the meds. Ha!
I have no man in my life but that's OK - don't need a man.

It's good and I can really only share that with internet strangers!

Messedupnotstressedup Wed 20-Dec-17 22:41:11

So feeling better then?!
Hope the appointment goes ok tomorrow
Will you tell them you stopped the meds?

BraveButShaking Thu 21-Dec-17 06:37:03

Not really better, but I’m not going to scoff at having a libido!

I already told the ED nurse in an email. I imagine she will raise the issue today. I don’t know if I will tell her I have stockpiled the meds. She does have a knack (professional experience I guess) of making me feel relaxed enough to be open and honest.
Feel quite sick at the prospect of the appt - makes me face up to things rather than bury them.

Messedupnotstressedup Thu 21-Dec-17 14:39:36

Have you stockpiled the meds with intent? Please do discuss that with her or your GP or the crisis team.
Christmas can be a difficult time and that is a very unsafe situation to be in if you are having thoughts of self harm.

BraveButShaking Thu 21-Dec-17 16:22:44

Yes.

I did tell the ED nurse, right at the end of the appt. She was kind and explained what would happen if I called the crisis line. She asked whether I felt able to take the meds to a pharmacy.

Messedupnotstressedup Thu 21-Dec-17 20:50:40

And do you?

BraveButShaking Thu 21-Dec-17 21:32:46

No.

Things very bad here this evening.

thejoysofboys Thu 21-Dec-17 21:45:56

In what way Brave?

BraveButShaking Fri 22-Dec-17 06:43:58

I feel powerless.
Having the stockpile gives me control.

I feel ok so far today.

Messedupnotstressedup Fri 22-Dec-17 07:01:11

But you have kids there with you?
Please Brave get rid of the tablets. That isn’t a form of control that is helpful to you.
It allows you to act on impulsive negative thoughts which is so dangerous.

BraveButShaking Fri 22-Dec-17 07:14:20

My older son is out, I take my younger son to his Dad’s later. I will be home alone working until I go to do my volunteer work this afternoon.

I am going to be ok today.

Messedupnotstressedup Fri 22-Dec-17 07:17:30

But tomorrow you may feel differently
Why test yourself?
If you are feeling calm and rational today then think it through and get rid of the meds. Please think of your children and don’t put yourself at risk.

BraveButShaking Sun 24-Dec-17 00:04:08

I imagined myself giving the meds to pharmacy when I was in Tesco and just know I can’t do it - I feel I need them here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now