Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Only depressed because I'm reacting to circumstances in my life

(11 Posts)
rubums Mon 04-Dec-17 21:04:50

My GP couldn't seem to understand this when I sat in front of him and cried. He just kept trying to prescribe antid's but they won't change the things that have happened in my life will they? Or the massive mistakes I've made? I think I'm destined to be sad forever. I've had counselling and it didn't help, just highlighted how I felt. I'm fed up of not feeling like a human being and more like a robot, I say and do the right things but I'm just exhausted pretending all the time. When I open my eyes in the morning it takes me so long to get out of bed and I'm late for everything I have to do, not because I'm lazy but just because I can't.

I don't know what to do anymore, I can't even talk to anyone about this because I've either pushed them away because I'm a horrible person or they have their own stresses that I can't add to sad. And if I do talk to someone they will just say go to the GP. But they can't do anything 😔

HooraySunshine Tue 05-Dec-17 01:45:48

I don't know what's happening in your life, but I would say try another type of counselling or another counsellor. The first one, two maybe even three you try might not work, but keep looking to find what works best for you.

If you feel your GP wasn't listening to you or didn't understand what you were saying, try booking another appointment or maybe even a new GP.

Without knowing your circumstances it's hard to advise further than that, but don't give up hope! Life can be better, you just need to find the right help for you.

Good luck! smile

2sCompany Tue 05-Dec-17 01:58:04

I felt like that about anti depressants - they can't change things, they won't undo all the shit, what's the point? I went for many years of dipping in and out of them, not really believing they would help and not taking them properly. However, since I had my daughter 6 months ago (from an abusive relationship) I have been taking my medication pretty much religiously. And no, it doesn't change a thing, it's not a magical cure to my shitty life and terrible decisions... However, it does help me not to be so extreme, I don't spend the day in tears any more, I don't become screaming banshee at the drop of a hat. I just feel a little bit more level headed. I know they're working because I ran out for a few days and was back to being on the edge. They make a difference. They don't cure all the bad stuff, they just help you to cope with it. Please, give them a try, a proper try for a few months. Anything is worth a shot.

Please feel free to pm me if you would like to discuss xx

Shen0102 Tue 05-Dec-17 01:58:42

It sounds like you've made mistakes and you're finding it hard to forgive yourself ?

There are clinics separate from GPs that deal with mental health within the NHS. Your GP should recommend you to them and they would be able to help you regarding depression and anxiety related problens. Youll be allocated a psychologist who will help you call you weekly to review you etc

Fintons Tue 05-Dec-17 02:09:37

Scientific evidence suggests they might help OP.

My own anecdote- I have Cancer and am not depressed. In the past I've been extremely depressed due to far more minor events in my life. There's a world of difference. Then I was emotionally crippled. Now, I'm emotionally shit but functional.

BeerBaby Tue 05-Dec-17 02:22:26

They do help you cope with the shit life throws at you. I've had depression and anxiety for years, about the last 20. I've had periods of being well and unwell. Sometimes over nothing, othertimes it's triggered by something.

I've also dipped in and out of anti depressants because I don't like to take medication. I'm back on them again but this time will probably be for a long time. They aren't perfect and they don't cure it but they do stabalise your emotions.

Don't punish yourself op. You'd don't "deserve" to suffer.

Hidingtonothing Tue 05-Dec-17 02:31:16

Totally agree with 2sCompany, anti d's can't fix your problems but they can make it easier for you to deal with them. Depression is a bastard because it swallows all your motivation, even the motivation to help yourself sometimes. You don't tend to see it until you're coming out the other side but it clouds your ability to see what will help you and sometimes even makes you resist help.

I've felt like you about medication everytime I've been ill and it always takes me months to work up to seeing the GP but everytime, without exception, I've looked back (when I'm feeling better) and can totally see that I should have gone at the outset. It doesn't stop me repeating the cycle of course so I can completely sympathise and understand where you are right now but it's worth acknowledging that depression makes it very difficult to be sure you're making good decisions.

Anti depressants won't change your mistakes but they might just help you see a way to make whatever recompense you can. Sometimes you have to treat the symptoms to begin with in order to build up your strength so you can tackle the cause flowers

Jerseysilkvelour Tue 05-Dec-17 08:15:35

Your mindset and feelings you describe are a symptom of your depression. Medication can help with that, especially as you say you've had counselling and it didn't work. You might find medication can quiet your mind for a bit and allow you to get some energy back in order to tackle whatever is going on or at least process it in a different way. What you're doing now isn't working, so why don't you give the medication a try? If it's not made a difference in a few weeks you can always stop it.

papertea Mon 11-Dec-17 01:18:50

I take anti depressants for the way circumstances this year have caused me to feel, they don't change a single thing about the situation apart from helping me feel I can cope. I can get out of bed now, I don't have the feeling of constant dread and I am living like I used to again. I do still get upset and down occasionally but nothing like I was.

I've never considered or expected to take anti depressants until this year, it's honestly the best thing I've done. So many people told me to go herbal but it didn't even make a difference, citalopram made me feel so much better.

It takes a few weeks to get into your system, I got bloating and bad dreams but now just dreams occasionally. The decision is yours but remember they can't change a situation but they can change how you feel.

alicewilkinson Wed 13-Dec-17 15:24:40

So sorry you are feeling like that sad I totally agree that counselling can make you feel like you are talking about all the bad. Have you tried CBT therapy and positive psychology? A friend of mine has been raving about a new app called My Possible Self which uses clinically proven content taken from a world leader in e mental health somewhere in Australia which may be worth looking into?

Debby08 Wed 13-Dec-17 15:34:10

When i used to have those episodes I took anti depressants and tried spiritual counseling. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made and it opened a lot of realizations. I hope you can try it if you haven't already. I just wish you well..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now