Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I think my anxiety is back - how do you cope?

(4 Posts)
Ellisisland Sun 03-Dec-17 20:09:41

About 7 years ago I had a crippling bout of depression and anxiety. I recovered slowly and have been pretty ok ever since. However the last month or so I feel the anxiety creeping back and today has been one of the worst days in a long time. I have become obsessed with the thought I might loose my children in some way. I have this feeling that something awful is about to happen but I don’t know what it is. I haven’t been able to eat for the last couple of days because of the permanent sense of sick dread in my stomach.
I don’t know what to do about it. Anybody else have this ? How do you deal with it? I am working on a contract at the moment that is a long commute away and I think that is what has triggered this as I see the kids only briefly in the mornings and then am back just in time to put them to bed at night. It’s just a contract though and finishes in August next year. I just feel really scared by how I feel and I’m not sure what to do. Any coping strategies anyone else has would be greatly received.

swizzlestix Mon 04-Dec-17 11:01:19

Didn't want to leave your post unanswered. Sounds like you're really struggling. If you can't get time off could you arrange a telephone appt with your GP to discuss how you are feeling. Anxiety is horrible and can be consuming. I think it is def worth trying to get an appt sooner rather than later. Can you face things like smoothies or milkshakes that may give you some energy if you can't face food. Take care smile

swizzlestix Mon 04-Dec-17 11:02:05

There is also a free APP called SAM which is worth a look and has some useful coping strategies for anxiety

Kahlua4me Mon 04-Dec-17 13:36:15

I too have this and it is so hard to deal with. I haven’t had problems with anxiety before until recently and am amazed at how physical it is.

At the moment I am convinced I have ovarian cancer even though I only have the nausea/sick feeling and even then only had that for about 5 days. Mine started this time as DS had an operation last week which sent my anxiety into overdrive.

I am currently having counselling which is really helping, but I think your first port of call should probably be your gp. Have you got any time off over Christmas and new year?

As Swizzle said, try some smoothies and soup as they are often easier to digest and may help to keep your energy up as well as minimise your nausea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now