Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Help, could really do with going to the supermarket before 4pm

(9 Posts)
Ofthread Sun 03-Dec-17 14:51:05

Maybe writing it down helps. I'm very depressed, running low on supplies too.

PinPon Sun 03-Dec-17 14:53:47

Make a list, steel yourself and go for it. I find going to a smaller supermarket is easier and less confusing than a megastore. Focus on how good it will feel when you are back home and have got the things you need. You can do it!

Stormwhale Sun 03-Dec-17 14:54:50

Break it down into tiny little jobs. So are you dressed? If not, that's the place to start. After that it is grabbing your keys, purse etc. Then you need to leave the house. Then get in the car/walk to the shop.

Don't think about anything but the step you are currently on. You can do this.

SewButtons Sun 03-Dec-17 14:56:36

If you know your supermarket well then make a detailed list and try and organise it by where things are in the shop, all fruit/veg together etc.
Will help you be in and out quicker.
If you are able as well, add something onto your list to treat yourself with when you get home, I like to grab the single sachet face masks that are around 99p as a nice pick me up when I’m feeling rubbish.

BellyBean Sun 03-Dec-17 14:56:48

How are you getting on? Are you dressed?

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 03-Dec-17 14:58:08

When I find myself in this position I find myself making a plan to make the trip as little effort as possible. Something like this;

Are you already dressed? If not put some trousers on you don't need to change your top just put your coat over the top. If yoor hair is a mess just put a hat on. (The benefit of winter is you can hide things with your winter clothes)

Now you just need to get there so if you are driving put the radio on and crank the heating up. If you are walking just put your head down and go for it.

Supermarkets are great for not having to talk to anyone - grab what you need and go through the self service checkout.

Now your nearly done just need to get home. When you are home put anything in the freezer/fridge that needs to be there and the rest can wait. Get back into your comfy clothes and give yourself a break, go to bed or chill on the sofa.

Gingernaut Sun 03-Dec-17 15:02:52

Socks
Outdoor shoes
Knickers - din't have to be clean, as long as they don't smell too weird.
Trackies or trousers suitable for outdoors
Padded coat or fleece over your top half - add a scarf. Doesn't matter if you're still in pyjamas as no ine has X-Ray vision
Brush/comb hair into low, loose ponytail.
Woolly hat/beanie.

Quick check in the mirror to see if you're rocking some food or lipstick on you're chin.

You're ready to go out, then. Good luck.

TeddyIsaHe Sun 03-Dec-17 15:07:30

I am exactly the same. The ONLY thing that gets me to go is to stop thinking about how fucking much I hate it and get ready whilst listening to music. Then just walking out the front door without thinking. To be fair lots of times this doesn’t work because I don’t get to the getting ready stage. But I find once I’m dressed I can do it.

Are you dressed? Also think about the delicious dinner you can have when it’s done. I always buy myself something I really love as a reward for doing it.

Ofthread Sun 03-Dec-17 15:40:11

Thank you so much for your kind messages of encouragement. I did it! The embarrassing thing is that the supermarket is only a few minutes away from my door. I now have basic provisions and I'm eating a chocolate eclair, only thing I've had today. The healthy lifestyle plan will have to wait for another day. It was so busy with people shopping for their lives. I'm just buying things so that I don't die, that's all I've got going for me at the moment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: