Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Picked up by the police when suicidal

(14 Posts)
GerddwrEryri Sat 02-Dec-17 13:01:49

Last night I got picked up by the police. I've been feeling so so low. The final straw was when DP and I got into an argument and he told me he didn't care if I actually did it (as in actually killed myself). I left the house and genuinely felt so suicidal. I really don't know what stopped me. I was out for 2 hours, found a quiet corner just by our house and sat and cried and thought and cried some more and broke down in a heap on the floor. Then I went for a walk and next thing I know the police are calling me and wanting to know where I am and said there were lots of units out looking for me. I told them I was fine and I just wanted to walk and I didn't want to speak to the crisis team and I felt bad about wasting their time. They made me go back to my house as they said they couldn't leave me outside after receiving that call from DP and since I had nowhere else to go I had to go back to the house. By this point it was around midnight but I couldn't sleep

Part of me wishes DP had left me to it so I could end this and part of me wishes I hadn't told the police everything was fine and accepted their offer of talking to the crisis team sad

TrojansAreSmegheads Sat 02-Dec-17 13:05:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GerddwrEryri Sat 02-Dec-17 13:09:52

I don't know what to say to them....
The only thing they do in my area is ask if you want to be admitted and if not they say call back when you do.

I can't be admitted. My friend was admitted to the same hospital I would be and he said he was left alone for the vast majority of the time. I don't want to be on my own with my thoughts. sad

TrojansAreSmegheads Sat 02-Dec-17 13:19:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sat 02-Dec-17 13:25:39

Sorry you're not having a good time,all sounds v overwhelming.hope things get better
Hospital admission isn’t only option crisis team will look to undertake home treatment
Can you call them and discuss how youre feeling set a schedule of visits
Crisis team will liaise with the other hcp who treat you, and crisis team intervention will be time limited to treat you at home
Do you need a medication review?

LadyDeadpool Sat 02-Dec-17 13:30:52

The best thing I ever did was let the police take me to A&E when I was suicidal I was seen by the emergency psychiatric team and although they did want to admit me at first they allowed me to stay at home because I had my husband to support me, through them though I got myself sorted out a formal diagnosis of BPD, OCD among others, got my tablets sorted to something that worked for me, had weekly meetings with the kindest psychiatric team member and psychiatrist who genuinely cared. Those 2 people honestly saved my life because I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them.
Call the crisis team let it be the start of the change for you too. Getting started is the hardest step but it's all worth it in the end. Things can and will be better.

GerddwrEryri Sat 02-Dec-17 17:52:48

I don't feel able to call the crisis team. I have extreme anxiety about talking on the phone.

I do think I need a medication review. I have an appointment with the psychiatrist in two weeks it's taken about 2 months for the referall to come through. In my area they have a stupid policy of seeing you once then immediately discharging you and if you need to see them again the GP re-refers

GerddwrEryri Mon 04-Dec-17 14:06:16

In work today and I'm really struggling. I'm such a mess. I shouldn't be here in work. But I can't afford not to work sad

Bonelessbanquet Mon 04-Dec-17 14:11:29

Do you have eupd/bpd OP? If you have, then hospital admissions aren’t always the best route so don’t get hung up on that.

If you so low then you really need to be pro active and contact the crisis team.

I understand you’re upset with your DP, but I can’t imagine how hard it is to live with someone who states they want to kill themselves but doesn’t get help. He won’t have meant it but he’s possibly quite frustrated.

GerddwrEryri Mon 04-Dec-17 14:19:31

Boneless I do have BPD .

I totally get the being frustrated, I really do. I have a meeting with the psych next week. I'm not sure what else I'm meant to do.

Bonelessbanquet Mon 04-Dec-17 15:06:04

Do you have an ATS service or a crisis house in your local area? They may be a good source of support until your appt next week.

Hopefully you’ll find your DP will be able to support you better too if you have a good talk and maybe if you have a bit of a plan of what you’re going to do to get better. It’s scary watching people you love deteriorate and feel like you have no way of helping them.

GerddwrEryri Mon 04-Dec-17 15:06:40

What's an ATS service?

GerddwrEryri Mon 04-Dec-17 15:15:24

I think in my area the only way of speaking to the crisis team is by calling them or by going to A&E. No idea what they can actually do though...

GerddwrEryri Tue 05-Dec-17 12:39:37

Asked DP to phone crisis team for me yesterday evening. Phoned at 6 pm and they said the earliest they could see me was 3 am. No chance of me being awake at 3 am with the myriad of medication I'm on.

I phoned my local Mind service today and left a voicemail. I hate phones and especially voicemail but I'm glad I phoned them. I hope they don't take too long to get back to me. They offer one to one counselling sessions and they do an anger management course - something which i think I really need to try and get on.

I think even just knowing I have made the first step to seeking more helped has helped a little bit. I didn't think it would especially as I have no idea if / when they'll get back to me but it has...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: