Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Talking Therapy - does it feel worse?

(2 Posts)
twattymctwatterson Fri 01-Dec-17 00:29:25

I've recently (about 4 weeks ago) started talking Therapy following a lifetime of low level depression and low self esteem and I'm discovering a lot about myself and how my childhood had led me to where I am now.
The problem is that the more I discover, the worse I feel. I wasn't particularly depressed a few weeks but now I'm really struggling with my mood. I'm angry and sad for the life I could have had.
Is this normal? Will I start to feel better as time goes on?

Eatcakeandbreathe Fri 01-Dec-17 13:06:31

Hi tmt

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question - I had talking therapy a few times in my life and don't remember it making me feel worse initially - it definitely did help in the long term. BUT it was over 10 years ago, and things that have happened in my life lead me to the point where I feel I need more therapy (having my own children has brought things up)

I don't have time to go to therapy, so I did an on-line healing course this month and it has made me feel WAY worse, so I can understand that therapy could also have this affect.

Talk to your therapist about how it's making you feel, hopefully it will get better, but it maybe that the therapy is not right for you, and something else would benefit you, or it could be that the process will be painful but in the long term it will be beneficial.

I found this on-line - interesting reading! www.theguardian.com/society/2008/mar/11/mentalhealth.healthandwellbeing

There is only one life you could have had, and that is the life you have had (iyswim?).

I was angry with my parents until I had therapy in my 20s, I can't remember what I even spoke about, but somehow I let go of blaming them for my lack of confidence and depression, and accepted that they did the best they could at the time. I know I wouldn't be the person I am if I'd had a different childhood, and I think it has given me empathy and understanding, so hopefully you will be able to focus on your positive attributes too.

Grief is part of healing when someone dies, so I'm sure that to grieve your lost childhood is part of the process?

Please talk to your therapist about your feelings. Maybe they could focus on the here and now with you instead of childhood?

I hope you feel better soon,
brewcake

ps what kind of therapy are you having? I've had 3 bouts (drama therapy, then relationship counselling, then transactional analysis) and was never asked directly about my childhood, but I actually would like to go into it! (ta went a bit into it, in terms of assessing where my internal voices come from)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now