Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What is this?

(3 Posts)
Mermaidblue Sun 19-Nov-17 18:21:14

I've name changed.

I am will eventually go to the GP, But I feel that increasingly that a am losing grip on every day reality.

I keep imagining worst case scenarios, but these scenarios are always my fault. I always imagine that I have made massive mistakes, even when I rationalise things and realise that I haven't done anything wrong, I then get paranoid that I must have forgotten the mistake and so it really is my fault. On some days, this goes on and on - all day

I also have this constant fear that something terrible is going to happen and it will be my fault. I fear that these perceived mistakes will have catastrophic consequences on those around me and that will mess up their lives.

Mostly, I feel like a bad and incompetent person, and increasingly, I feel afraid for longer stretches of time. My anxiety is always there. I keep going over events that happened in the past, incessantly trying to remember how it could be my fault. Some times I start to believe imagined wrong doings. I've come to this point now.

What is wrong with me? I have so much good in my life, that I want enjoy, and yet this growing dark cloud just hangs over me.

tinydancer88 Sun 19-Nov-17 18:33:58

You sound very much like me. I feel like I am a bad person who deserves these worst case scenarios, and simultaneously a fraud who can't see how good they have it and creates issues where there are none.

I went to the GP very recently, and he was very kind and understanding and didn't make me feel like a lunatic (how I felt about myself, obviously not a descriptor I want to apply to anyone else). He referred me for counselling.

I wish I had the answers for you as this is overwhelming my life at the moment, but I understand what you're saying and appreciate how rubbish it is. A friend once told me anxiety is like a faulty alarm system, overestimating the likelihood of something bad happening and underestimating our ability to deal with it, and that feeling fear does not mean the danger is real. Sometimes I find that thought calming.

Mermaidblue Mon 20-Nov-17 04:32:17

Tinydancer - thanks for your reply. Yes, feel like a fraud most of the time. And the fear and anxiety generated by uncertainty has made me step away from so many life affirming experiences and friendships.

I do like your tip on how to view and deal with anxiety. It makes sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now