Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Do you believe in Misophonia?

(12 Posts)
Swizzlesticks23 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:58:15

Just wondering really.

I seem to be more sensitive to certain noise now more than ever.

I don't know if I'm just a brat or it's real

Just to clarify I don't just think oh that's annoying it actually enrages me or makes me uncontrollably cry?confused

Any help /similar stuff welcome.

Swizzlesticks23 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:58:59

Sorry if I have offended anyone with questioning it. Some people don't believe in it I've found blush

LEMtheoriginal Tue 14-Nov-17 23:01:08

I suffer from anxiety and certain noises upset me. Eating and mouth noises generally. Sometimes it doesn't bother me. Others I feel demented with rage/anxiety

ParadiseCity Tue 14-Nov-17 23:04:45

I definitely do. You have my sympathies.

PamDooveOrangeJoof Tue 14-Nov-17 23:05:28

Yes I do as I suffer from it. It’s much worse if I am tired or suffering from general stress and anxiety.

acornsandnuts Tue 14-Nov-17 23:05:34

I’ve had issues from early teens with certain noises. I do believe in mysophonia, but acknowledging it’s my problem not others has really helped with my tolerance.

Swizzlesticks23 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:10:24

Has anyone worked out or do you know if it's our ears or brain ?

I think if the noises possibly wasn't as loud I could cope a bit better. I'm actually hoping as I get older my hearing gets worse !

torthecatlady Tue 14-Nov-17 23:15:05

I have it. It's really unbearable. I have irrational rage and it makes me feel sick. It's not just eating for me, also if there's a tv on and someone's talkin or there's another sound, i feel awful.

As I child I thought I was alone. It's only the last couple of years, I've known about the condition. It makes me feel better. I also had bulimia growing up, possibly stemming from this condition.

My family and husband understand, but eating around strangers can be difficult.

Swizzlesticks23 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:19:33

Oh mine isn't just sound of people eating

It's everything.

Sniffing ,coughing ,drinking, constant talking. My dog licking herself , any constant noise e.g someone's phone going off

Children
People talking outside in the street loudly.

Any kind of banging.

Other people playing music.

My new neighbors moved in and was decorating and doing diy so drilling power tools etc. I was Suisidal .

Every night I hear their children cry scream shout runnning from 9.30-10:30 and it makes me so enraged I actually feel sick.

I have the tv on mute most of the time as I just need a break from the noise.

It's ridiculous.

ChangedToday Tue 14-Nov-17 23:37:57

Yes totally. My early teen has it, it's worst when they're tired. Just normal everyday noise (in school, talking and shuffling, not necessarily 'loud' stuff like shouting) can make them break down and cry uncontrollably. Needs to leave the class to recover, it can take hours. They were not happy when their sibling had a persistent cough.... Ear defenders and noise controlling headphones help in 'crowd' situations such as museums or airports.

campocaro Tue 14-Nov-17 23:42:21

It is real and it is being researched by scientists at Newcastle university http://www.ncl.ac.uk/ion/news/news-items/newsmisophonia.html
It is often part of wider sensitivities for people who are autistic.

PamDooveOrangeJoof Fri 17-Nov-17 16:11:52

Repetitive movement is a trigger for me too.

I read something somewhere about it being cross wires in your brain so how you react to certain stimuli gets confused. So you get the fight or flight reaction completely out of context when triggered

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now