Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Need help

(2 Posts)
SoSadforBabyP Sat 11-Nov-17 23:18:21

In 2014 my DS was 2 and I was reminded of the Baby P tragedy at one point. At the time I became obsessed for months over him and his case, I cried for him, couldn’t eat or sleep, read and watched everything online about him and the case. I was a wreck. I think it was made worse as my DS (pfb) was then a similar age to Peter and I couldn’t imagine putting a baby through what he went through. I confided in my DH at the time and he tried to get me to stop. It took a while but eventually I managed to make myself stop reading things and for the last few years I have thought about Peter every now and then and I have to force the thoughts down so the obsession doesn’t return.

However, the recent case of Elsie Scully-Hicks being killed by her adoptive father really affected me (probably as I now have a 11 month old DD, so again roughly the same age as Elsie), I found myself becoming obsessed with the case and thinking about her all the time and this has led to a spiral and I am now thinking about Peter all the time. I have spent hours today reading about his case and his injuries again, I gave myself a panic attack readying what the poor baby went through and looking at his photos online. I haven’t told my DH, he’d be disappointed in me I think. I don’t know how to stop this. I’m scared for my mental health. If I don’t think about him I feel guilty that he has been forgotten. If I smile or laugh I feel guilty for him. I know this is ridiculous.

Please has anyone got any words of advice? I’m desperate

NolongerAnxiousCarer Thu 16-Nov-17 11:05:43

You need to speak to your GP, they can help. Maybe something like cbt would help with your thought patterns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now