Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Over-sensitivity to side effects - scared to take AD in furye

(2 Posts)
NooNooHead Sat 11-Nov-17 12:18:42

I had an extreme acute dystonic reaction to a first generation antipsychotic med called Pericyazine two years ago that has left me with a permanent movement disorder called tardive dyskinesia.

I then took Citalopram for 4 months after when I really needed to have taken this originally, hence being given the Pericyazine instead. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, of course.hmm

Thankfully I haven’t needed ADs since but am worried about any side effects if I had to take them in the future. When I took my first pill of Citalopram, my cheeks both sucked in and my mouth made a kind of fish lips, meaning I couldn’t breathe properly until my DH stuck a wooden spoon in my mouth. I can laugh now, but at the time it was terrifying!

I know that if needed then I would take Citalopram again, but am worried about the risk of side effects again. I did see a psychiatrist last year who recommended certain drugs he thought were safe of necessary, and propanalol and Citalopram were on the list.

Has anyone else ever been in this position? I know I’m prob worrying about nothing, but it does sometimes play on my mind a bit.confused

NooNooHead Sat 11-Nov-17 12:19:21

That should say ‘future’ in the post subject line - stupid autocorrect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now