Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline to Venlafaxine - scared

(7 Posts)
beautifultrauma Sat 11-Nov-17 10:18:10

I have been taking Sertraline for the past year (other AD meds before that) and after various increases, I found that my anxiety and depression was getting worse. My GP has now prescribed me venlafaxine and I’m terrified about taking it. I’m still weaning myself off the Sertraline but will be due to start it next weekend. I have read about all the various side effects and I am so scared. But at the same time I can’t go on as I was.

What do I do? Has anyone had a good experience with venlafaxine? Please help! confused

WhoWants2Know Sat 11-Nov-17 10:34:10

I switched from Sertraline to Venlafaxine several years ago and it’s been so much more effective for anxiety. I had a headache for a week or so, and occasionally some insomnia. But it’s been really amazing in its effectiveness. I’m less anxious, less tearful and mentally I feel sharper.

The only caveat I would give is that some people (including me) get nasty withdrawals from forgetting to take it. It’s a drug that has to be stepped down gradually when it’s stopped, so if you are on a substantial dose then you can really feel the effects of a day without it.

On the plus side, that has made me extremely efficient and consistent with my meds. The chemist has been great and set up an auto renewal so I don’t have to remember to re-order each month.

beautifultrauma Sat 11-Nov-17 10:37:51

Thank you who, that is good to know. All I have read so far are horror stories. Great to hear that you are doing so well, and I will take all that on board, especially the taking it at the correct time. Keep well who flowers

dangermouseisace Sat 11-Nov-17 14:54:14

I'm on a v high dose and have no side effects.

beautifultrauma Sat 11-Nov-17 22:43:47

Thanks dangermouse flowers

IamEarthymama Sat 11-Nov-17 22:46:40

My partner takes Venlaflaxine and it has been life changing for her, and for me.
Please don't be scared, give it a try and tell us how you are doing.

stitchglitched Sat 11-Nov-17 22:56:48

I took it for about 18 months, came off it last year. It was like a miracle for me, sorted out my PND and was great for my anxiety. Side effects- completely stopped by periods (which was a good thing for me!) Excessive sweating which eventually became too much to bear and one of the main reasons I came off them in the end, in addition to after about a year they started to make me feel a bit 'zombielike' and lethargic.

But they were a Godsend when I needed them, they just didn't suit me long term and touch wood I've managed to be quite well since and haven't needed further medication. Withdrawal is unpleasant but bearable if tapered off slowly. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now