Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Changing from Citalopram to Sertraline. How did you find it?

(11 Posts)
DingleBerries Fri 10-Nov-17 08:07:35

I’m just gone bite the bullet and swap.
I took the first Sertraline tonight and stopped the citalopram.
I’m dreading the ‘rough couple of weeks’ the doctor said I’d have because I’ve already been having a shit time, hence the change of AD’s.

Any input as to what I should expect would be much appreciated.

AnnaL82 Sat 11-Nov-17 05:01:22

I'm starting sertraline this morning and dreading the first couple of weeks too, especially because when just out of the doctor's door I was called about DF having to undergo heart surgery. Dr told anxiety may increase and mine was already high before the call.

Interested in experiences too.

DingleBerries Sat 11-Nov-17 08:48:56

Good luck Anna I’m on day two. I was unsure whether to just go for it again but I just did it.

Keep me posted on how you get on. I’m going to update on here how it pans out because there isn’t that much on here about how people find the change of the two meds. Just how the types of meds made them feel.
So hopefully people will find this helpful.

AnnaL82 Sat 11-Nov-17 10:50:57

Yes I know I answered your thread as there isn't any recent discussion on sertraline from scratch either...sorry for that smile

AnnaL82 Sat 11-Nov-17 10:51:43

Let me know as well how it goes, good luck!

bottlesandcans Sat 11-Nov-17 10:59:31

I did the same change and it was fine! Actually I feel much, much better.

AnnaL82 Sun 12-Nov-17 22:10:29

Gosh. Two pills and anxiety over the moon, although it would probably be the same without...when do things settle down in your experience?

DingleBerries Mon 13-Nov-17 11:34:34

Anna that is totally normal to feel that. It’s worse in the first week, the second week it begins to calm then after that you should feel fine. Good, even!

Did your doctor give you diazepam for the initial anxiety that it causes? They should do.

They did both times for me.

I’m on day 4 of swapping to Sertraline and it’s absolutely fine. Some side effects but not like it is when you start on AD’s for the first time.

Stick it out Anna and ask your GP for diazepam to help you through the first bit.

duploduplo Mon 13-Nov-17 22:56:11

I found it so much better than citalopram! It didn’t even compare.

duploduplo Mon 13-Nov-17 22:56:57

I was given diazepam for the initial anxiety but I only needed to take it a few times..

DingleBerries Tue 14-Nov-17 09:24:52

In what way did you find it better @duploduplo ?

I actually had no issues with Citalopram, just that it wasn’t helping one iota with my PMT/PMDD.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: