Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Propranolol for anxiety?

(9 Posts)
Preciousprincess75 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:03:40

Just been prescribed this for general anxiety. Does anyone have any experience to share?

NotJustThreeSmallWords Wed 08-Nov-17 10:05:53

Yes, I've taken it for panic attacks. It works well at preventing them if I take them when calm before a situation where I would become anxious but if I take them once the anxiety kicks in they have no effect.
Good luck with them.

totoromama Wed 08-Nov-17 10:08:55

I've recently started taking them. I take 3 a day and they seem to have stopped my anxiety. I do agree with not just who said they are useless if you are already panicking. They don't seem to have any side effects either.

CloudPerson Wed 08-Nov-17 10:11:36

I take them when I need them.
If you can spot when you're starting to feel panicky and take them then they can be very helpful.
I also take them when I know I'm going to be in a stressful situation that will trigger anxiety.

Maudlinmaud Wed 08-Nov-17 10:15:09

I've been prescribed them for migraine but like others take them before a stressful situation too. They are a god send. Hope you get on OK with them. I've never heard any complaints about them.

MuffinMcDuffin Wed 08-Nov-17 11:15:44

I’m on a very low dosage to control my stress eczema, they have done a great job but I think I need a higher dosage in stressful situations!

Preciousprincess75 Wed 08-Nov-17 20:00:25

Thanks for your replies, it sounds positive from your posts. smile I have been given a low dose for general anxiety. I need to get on top of this, I'm fed up of feeling rubbish.

EastMidsMumOf1 Mon 13-Nov-17 06:01:25

As PPs have said, they work well if taken whilst calm.
Have you had any CBT OP? It can help you in finding your triggers. So if, for example, going to the shop brought on a panic attack, you could take the propanolol in advance.
Even the propanolol aside, understanding and dealing with triggers helps a great deal too smile

Elusiveone Tue 14-Nov-17 23:29:19

There brilliant make me feel calm and no side effects. I take three a day 40 mg each dose

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now