Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

TV / activities to distract from anxiety

(5 Posts)
sortingmyselfoutslowly Tue 07-Nov-17 21:55:01

I'm on day 2 of sertraline and feeling the side effects confused so am trying to distract myself. I find property and cooking programmes quite soothing as they are very mundane. David Attenborough is calming too. Can't watch the news or anything apocalyptic or frightening for obvious reasons. I'm also quite sensitive to noise so loud game shows and comedy don't appeal. Wondered what to watch or do to try to relax whilst getting through the early days? I'm still working during the day (part time as usual ).

meala Tue 07-Nov-17 23:22:08

I find that a good book can help calm and relax. Something that is just nice and feel good. My go to is some old L M Montgomery smile and they're mostly available for free as ebooks.
What about watching Gilmore girls. Plenty of episodes to keep you going. It's on Netflix.

sortingmyselfoutslowly Wed 08-Nov-17 02:14:06

Thanks for the suggestions meala. Sitcoms are great actually - not too demanding to follow and not threatening.

WhoWants2Know Wed 08-Nov-17 02:21:25

I find it helps to do something simple with my hands while watching tv. Fairly easy stuff like French knitting or loom bands or even a jigsaw can help when I have the fidgets.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Thu 09-Nov-17 10:23:54

I found mindless games on my phone good as a distraction, and knitting and swimming help me too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now