Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fear of blood

(4 Posts)
Sarah1244 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:24:32

Hi there. I have a fear of blood in that it just makes me feel dirty. In an emergency situation I manage to cope and it’s ok but with everyday life I’m struggling. An example today was tidying my kitchen cupboards and I noticed that I’d nicked my finger and that there was some blood on it. I then panicked about what I had touched before I noticed my finger and how the blood may have already got onto other items. I’ve managed to get through the day without cleaning everything as I know it’s crackers! Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated please! I’d just also say it’s not causing me anxiety because of disease as I know this is a big problem for ocd sufferers. I have suffered from ocd in the past but this was mainly due to hand washing. Thanks for listening.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Thu 09-Nov-17 10:21:37

I don't have any experience of this, but if it's causing you problems day to day it would be worth discussing with your GP.

Anatidae Thu 09-Nov-17 10:23:42

Have you had treatment for the ocd? Proper treatment, not a few crap CBT sessions?

If not - do. It’s very responsive to GOOD therapy

pamelastone Thu 09-Nov-17 19:11:49

You fear of blood comes from paying attention to it. When you get fear, pretend like you don't have it. Just ignore it from your mind. When you do it few times, you will eventually get over it. But I suggest not to turn your face away if you see blood.

I had fear of heights. I forced myself to peep from high altitude. Slowly I overcame it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now