Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Being signed off work

(1 Post)
TrickyTreeLou Mon 06-Nov-17 10:08:45

I was signed off 5 weeks ago for anxiety and stress. I was on Sertraline but after a few weeks had to give up as it made everything a lot worse, so gp switched me to citalopram, which I started 2.5 weeks ago. I have just upped my dose to 20mg. No major side effects yet but due to the medications I have felt quite zombified at times during the last few weeks. Things are just about starting to settle.

I don't think I'm ready to go back to work just yet. But then I feel guilty/like a failure and worry when will I feel ready to go back. It's a horrible cycle. Also I am very worried about what people will think about me (though I have been honest with some and said it's a mental health issue). My 17 year old cat died 2 weeks ago and that really set me back (I know that sounds daft and I would never say that at work).

Have you ever been signed off work for mental health issues and if so for how long? How did you find going back? Did you know you were ready?

I have a GP appointment this afternoon. My gut is saying ask for another week off, and then email work and ask if I can pop in informally this week to say hello to everyone before I make the big move next week. Or shall I just dive in tomorrow?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now