Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

cardiovascular exercise for anxiety

(11 Posts)
sortingmyselfoutslowly Sun 05-Nov-17 08:06:37

Does this help you? I'm feeling unwell with what I thought were unrelated symptoms to anxiety but think it's all tied up in mental health. I have a gym membership which I do use a couple of times a week. If I step it up to most days will it help me feel better?

sortingmyselfoutslowly Sun 05-Nov-17 08:07:41

Mostly I do swimming, yoga and running on the treadmill. What I'm asking is can I fix this with exercise?

margaritasbythesea Sun 05-Nov-17 08:14:32

It is supposed to, isn´t it? I would like to knwo too. For me, it really matters that I enjoy the exercise. I used to jog down a really beautiful bridal path and it was a glorious feeling and really did help. I live in a city now, and pounding the streets does not have the same effect. I am thinking of taking up dancing. Do you enjoy the gym?

Callamia Sun 05-Nov-17 08:28:00

For me, going for a run really helps to make my head feel like a nicer place. I’m not a natural runner, but I took it up as a way to get out of the house and I really value it. I run around a park, I’m not sure I’d get the same joy out of a gym - but plenty of people do.

I am still anxious about certain things, and I think something like CBT would be helpful for that. But for a mood-enhancer, running/dancing/yoga/whatever is a really useful thing for me.

PaintingByNumbers Sun 05-Nov-17 08:30:16

Have you tried the outdoors? A walk in a beautiful, natural place, paying attention to each and every bird you hear, noting the plants, perhaps trying to name trees (I have an app)

sortingmyselfoutslowly Sun 05-Nov-17 08:34:21

DD has a party this morning so while she's busy at that I'm going for a long walk on my own. I do 3 school run walks a week. Feel like I need to prioritise exercise, no alcohol and no caffeine as a trial before going on the sertraline again. It makes me feel a lot better when I exercise and I also sleep better.

sortingmyselfoutslowly Sun 05-Nov-17 08:35:55

Dancing makes me self conscious but I like my yoga class. I can run 5k on the treadmill without stopping so am reasonably fit. Going to give it 2 weeks them see the GP to review. Thanks for quick responses. Hope everyone is OK this morning flowers

Pippioddstocking Sun 05-Nov-17 08:39:27

I find when I'm feeling anxious repetitive exercise like running or swimming lengths , really soothing .
Sometimes chopping and changing machines or too much dance type music and instructors yelling at you to go faster or harder just makes it worse .
Yoga doesn't work for me , I find I have TOO much time to think then.

sortingmyselfoutslowly Sun 05-Nov-17 16:21:35

I didn't manage a fast walk on my own as I had DS with me in the end but he was good company. Going for a good long walk this evening. I think it gets rid of my nervous energy.

PollyPelargonium52 Mon 06-Nov-17 06:49:38

When I was younger I used to go to health clubs all the time now I have ds and the cost of living is so high I cannot pay for memberships. I curretly have a leisure centre membership but struggle to get down there.

I do believe it helps.

I need to go swimming to help my right knee and back. It is just making the initial effort I find really hard!

sortingmyselfoutslowly Mon 06-Nov-17 11:47:11

I did the school run (40 mins there and back-much faster on way back as no children ) then a 5k run at the gym this morning. I do feel a bit calmer but am at the GP now going to ask for sertraline. Feels like a big step but I need to do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now