Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Why am I feeling so bad?

(3 Posts)
abbsisspartacus Sat 04-Nov-17 07:10:49

Yesterday I passed my driving test I've been working on it for fucking years failed twice gone on anti anxiety meds upped the meds finally passed and I'm sad I mean really low on the floor low why am I not happy? This changes everything I'm 42 I've got three kids been through hell with my ex husband this could change my life in such a good way I even have a car ready to go

What the fuck is wrong with my brain? confused

PollyPelargonium52 Mon 06-Nov-17 06:51:45

Is it SAD triggering this?

I was absolutely fine until this weekend. My body was aching I have been feeling unwell and it just tipped me over the edge to feeling a bit depressed. I hope it doesn't descend into its usual winter blues I had honestly thought they had gone.....!

AlphaNumericalSequence Mon 06-Nov-17 07:12:31

I often find that achieving something I've been striving and hoping for can bring a collapse down into a more depressed state.

I think that it is something to do with the fact that having a goal is a form of focus and motivation, which we lose when we have obtained the goal.
It is also a way of deflecting a lot of our unhappiness onto a single cause ('If only I could drive, things would be better'). We lose this opportunity for deflection when we achieve the goal ('Now I can drive and things are funadmentlly the same').
Also, if you are a self-critical person, any achievement brings a kind of cruel assault of self-deflation in in its wake: One hour of 'wow, I should be so proud' is followed by a days-long hangover of 'Why should you be proud you loathesome thing, everyone can drive, what took you so long?'
And finally ... being able to drive is naturally a source of new anxieties as you feel obliged to start actually using your skill, which is nerve-wracking at first.

So, several different ways of feeling shit about something good! I really hope you can be kind to yourself and remind yourself hourly to feel proud of what you have achieved. Congratulations. flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: