Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sorry, me again, another question about anxiety medication

(3 Posts)
PoptartPoptart Fri 03-Nov-17 17:10:14

I have another thread running about Propanol medication for my health anxiety. Thanks to everyone for their advice on that thread, it’s given me a lot of food for thought.
A lot of people have said on there that I should consider SSI’s such as Sertraline, Citalopram or Fluoxetine.
I’ve been Googling the NHS advice about all three of those medications but they all say that they primarily treat depression rather than anxiety.
When my health anxiety is triggered I do feel depressed, but during good periods, ie, when I haven’t had any triggers, I am perfectly happy and even feel ‘normal’.
So I’m confused as to what to do?
Will an antidepressant help my anxiety?
Are there any other anxiety medications that you have experience of that I haven’t thought of?
Sorry to keep posting about this issue but I need to be as prepared as possible before my doctors appointment next week. I don’t want to walk out with a prescription for something I know nothing about or that is unsuitable for me.
I know the doctor will offer advice but, with the best will in the world, there is only so much she can do within the constraints of an 8 minute appointment.
Really appreciate any advice/experiences anyone can offer.

gamerchick Fri 03-Nov-17 17:15:56

The thing is though with meds it's impossible to know what will suit you. It's a case of trial and error and tweaking of dosages until you get it right.

gamerchick Fri 03-Nov-17 17:17:22

Maybe start with the propranolol. I'm on a 40mg dose 3 times a day or more if needed. It's an as and when and works in about 10 minutes. That way you can see how you cope with your head. Then if it's not enough try something else?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now