Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Just got diagnosed with EUPD

(24 Posts)
MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 02-Nov-17 14:50:50

I’ve had poor mental health since my teens (I’m now 43). For the last 2 years I’ve been fairly convinced I had EUPD but have only today got a diagnosis. I’m already on anti depressants but I’ve been prescribed aripiprazole in addition.

I don’t really know how I feel or why I’m posting, I’m just trying to digest it really; it’s one thing to suspect you have a condition it’s another to have it formally diagnosed. And I guess this isn’t something that’s ever going to go away, so it’s a case of learning to cope with it (which I haven’t been doing too well at). But I’m hopeful with the right input from the MH team I might be ‘well’

HollowCity Thu 02-Nov-17 14:54:26

What does the acronym mean OP?

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 02-Nov-17 14:55:31

Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, aka Borderline Personality Disorder or Emotional Instability Disorder.

Gammeldragz Thu 02-Nov-17 14:55:34

Emotionally unstable personality disorder? Is this a new name for an existing one, like BPD?

Gammeldragz Thu 02-Nov-17 14:57:16

Congratulations on getting a diagnosis. It will take some getting used to but at least you know now. It's normal to feel a bit anxious, maybe find some specific forums where others have been through this and get some advice.

Iris65 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:58:59

Emotionally unstable personality disorder? Is this a new name for an existing one, like BPD?

Yes it is. It is a more informative and accurate name.

Iris65 Thu 02-Nov-17 15:01:15

And yes, you can get well. I am much more stable now in my 50s. I was diagnosed as a 'quiet' borderline however which has some differences to the more typical EUPD.

Looking after yourself and maintaining a stable, minimal stress lifestyle is very important.

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 02-Nov-17 20:36:47

Ha Iris I wish. For 2 1/2 years I’ve been going through a protracted legal battle with my abusive exH. I hope it’ll be finally signed off next week but if it isn’t I don’t know how I’ll cope.

MyGastIsFlabbered Sun 05-Nov-17 18:00:56

I’m still processing this but I do feel a bit like there’s something wrong with me and that I’m defective in some way. Any tips for countering these thoughts

SpottedCow Sun 05-Nov-17 18:09:15

MyGast I had BPD/EUPD since age 16. Diagnosed aged 20. I am 35. Nice to meet you.

i struggled to process the diagnosis too at first. but i realised it explained a lot about me

KittyandTeal Sun 05-Nov-17 18:16:30

I have bpd (prefer that name to eupd)

I have been misdiagnosed with depression and then bipolar. This is a much more accurate diagnosis for me. I struggle a lot, I am high functioning and lots of my behaviour and feelings are internalised. I am just started my fourth round of therapy which has left me empty, bereft and questioning everything. I know it has to get worse before it gets better though.

I agree with the feeling somethings wrong with me but then I’ve felt like that all my life so I quite like having a label to help me understand that I’m different rather than wrong. I am also in recovery from eating disorders and have body dysmorphia which isn’t fun. My ed is more than likely part of the bpd, linked to self harm. I am incredibly self destructive.

It’s huge to get your head around but I have found it strangely comforting,

KittyandTeal Sun 05-Nov-17 18:18:59

I second iris. Drama free, stress free and looking after yourself is key to becoming more stable.

I work part time, try really hard to stay out of drama (which I’m naturally attracted to as it makes me feel inportant) run and cycle, try to eat well and get 8 hours sleep a night. If I don’t do these, or one takes a back seat I become much more unstable.

RandomMess Sun 05-Nov-17 18:27:58

flowers

I struggle with my diagnosis mainly because of the prejudice that comes with it “personality disorder” - why couldn’t they rename it without PD in it!!

Still not told work of the diagnosis (self declared MH disability) because in many ways I have no idea of what “reasonable adjustment” would help. Main one I can think of is stopping one of my managers saying such critical things such as commenting on my choice of clothing, or my traits...

Argh sadangry

MyGastIsFlabbered Sun 05-Nov-17 18:36:05

I’m unsure whether to say anything to my work, I’ve only been there 5 months. The diagnosis explains everything really but I’m still struggling to process it and my mood swings are even worse than usual at the moment.

polkadott30 Mon 06-Nov-17 00:29:42

KittyandTeal I relate to this so much. The drama, the ED, the self destruction. I have been on this merry go round for so long. It is geting better but evey now and then I get into a real mess

Cmblue Mon 06-Nov-17 10:05:46

Hi MyGast I just got diagnosed on 23rd October, I'm still getting my head around it, it came after 7 years anxiety /depression but I had a mental breakdown in Feb I could feel it coming for sometime, unfortunately due to the time I had off work I lost my contract, so being BPD obviously the intense emotion of failure is still gripping!!!
Im now constantly feeling will I ever be able to have a career again???
Iv order some bpd self help books to read some more about it.
I'm currently receiving EMDR therapy as I have complex PTSD aswell.
Did he offer any therapy options??
Iv just started an antipsychotic aswell.
I'm glad you posted because this illness is so isolating and lonely so thanks for sharing flowers

fantasmasgoria1 Mon 06-Nov-17 12:15:02

It is difficult I had the diagnosis around two years ago but consultant said I had been suffering for years . Worst thing is the stigma associated with the diagnosis. You tell people and you wonder do they thing my personality is broken! I am always struggling to some degree with it but I managed to get a degree jobs etc! I am currently not working but I will probably start back with part time work. Therapy did not work for me but a support group I found was helpful although I have now moved and looking for another! It can be overwhelming but I take my medication and take care of myself which is very important. Follow advice and accept support offered and perhaps look into a support group.

RandomMess Mon 06-Nov-17 13:06:45

@fantasmasgoria1 how did you find the support group, how long did you go for? This or 6 weeks CBT is the only thing offered by my PCT!!!

fantasmasgoria1 Mon 06-Nov-17 16:02:38

I searched the net for local groups and was lucky enough to find one! I went for over a year on and off and most in the group had bpd so we all had similar issues to discuss! I had psychodynamic therapy for a few months but I didn’t really benefit from it! I am in a different area now and had to be re referred to services but I have a new consultant and have said I will try therapy again next year perhaps. I am searching again for another group now!

polkadott30 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:24:20

MyGast and fantasmasgoria1 I had something called DBT or Dialectical Behavioural Therapy. It was very helpful and intensive, lasting 2 years with access to the therapist by phone in between sessions in a crisis. My symptoms may not have gone 100% but they are reduced and I never thought I would be as functional as I am now.

MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 06-Nov-17 18:29:19

Today I’m really struggling. The very acrimonious divorce was finally meant to be signed off on Wednesday and now it won’t be. I stupidly got into an argument with my ex about it all and now I’m angry, upset and scared.

polkadott30 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:11:14

cake flowers MyGastisFlabbered So sorry to hear that. I know that cycle of argument, scared, upset very well.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Mon 06-Nov-17 20:21:42

MyGast. 🌷Big squishy hugs. I'm sure it was upsetting to have it confirmed, but you know what? You're still you. Lovely, kind, funny, caring YOU. Try to use your diagnosis as a tool to help you and not something to be worried by.

The sooner you get twatface out of your life the better. Speak to your lawyer, see if they can speak to his lawyer and get it sorted.

You are lovely, please don't lose sight of that ok 💐

fantasmasgoria1 Tue 07-Nov-17 10:25:29

I might think about asking for dbt I know it can be helpful! I have had two long term very very abusive relationships in the first all categories of abuse applied. I am engaged now to the most amazing man who is just being so supportive and brilliant! I am still quite unwell and until my meds were re prescribed , thoughts of self harm etc were often present! flowers to everyone who is struggling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now