Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Stupid Facebook post about depression

(35 Posts)
Reluctant2ndtimer Wed 01-Nov-17 21:03:04

I have just copied and pasted this because I’m staggered that anyone can really think mental health is so simple. This friend is genuinely a lovely person and has been through some shit times in her life, how on earth does she think like this?
I’m struggling with my own mental health right now and I’d love to be able to ‘change my way of thinking’!

Controversial Some people will hate this post & maybe begin slating it (me) behind their phone, some people will embrace it and it’ll encourage them to have a little think.. I honestly don’t believe in depression, I have never had a health professional be able to tell me what it is, I was put on anti depressants when I was in school & even then I knew this was wrong, all because I had a wobble & thought bad things. I think bad things now but I’m far from ‘depressed’ Medication is there to mask the ‘problem’ not solve it, it’s to change your way of thinking, but why can’t you change your own way, after all they’re your thoughts.. why has a doctor who sees you for 10 mins got the ability to tell you you’re depressed & prescribe something so mind altering.
You altered your own mind into thinking this way, re-alter it. Stop thinking things on the outside have the ability to change you on the inside.*

Reluctant2ndtimer Wed 01-Nov-17 21:03:31

Bold fail.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 01-Nov-17 21:07:21

Ah, the think yourself well cure.

Fuckers.

Sorry, it's just ignorance. Never mind the massive chemical imbalance in the brain and the hormonal response of the body. Never mind trauma causing long term issues.

Ignore if you can, but note that this person doesn't understand depression.

PurpleDaisies Wed 01-Nov-17 21:08:37

You’re right, it’s a daft, unhelpful post. I’d hide it and try and forget about it.

why can’t you change your own way, after all they’re your thoughts..

If only it were that simple!

2cats2many Wed 01-Nov-17 21:10:16

Yep. Total load of fucking bollocks. It's like being told that you can get rid of your diabetes or epilepsy just by 'thinking positively!'

Just keep scrolling past it. For every idiot like this, there's someone who really understands.

Countduckulanose Wed 01-Nov-17 21:16:17

That is staggering. I'm sure there will be a few people on her friends list reading that open-mouthed, wondering what she was thinking.

Hellomaryimback Wed 01-Nov-17 21:20:01

I agree tablets are given out way too quickly, I've experience that my self. Was given tablets, didn't take them , did lots of self help and exercise and my mood lifted. Tbf I probably had a bit of PND.

However my mother is 55 and has been very poorly with metal health issues. Tried to hang herself, sectioned a few times All her life since 14 she has been medicated . It's only now after a very rough time she seems stable. No amount of positive attitude garb ever help or would.

I can see a tiny point in the crap post

deckoff Wed 01-Nov-17 21:22:09

I agree with her.

I also don't believe in broken legs myself.

Or horses.

Or the moon.

I bet some of you hate me for this, but some will be encouraged to think. (You're welcome.)

Reluctant2ndtimer Wed 01-Nov-17 21:29:25

I replied saying if only it was that simple and she replied saying it’s as simple as you make it ❤️
I’m thinking she’s fucking simple!

PurpleDaisies Wed 01-Nov-17 21:30:01

I’d unfriend her.

Inig0M0nt0ya Wed 01-Nov-17 21:32:17

I can't be doing with the idiots who peddle this shit!

StinkyMcgrinky Wed 01-Nov-17 21:33:19

You can't argue with stupid hmm I wish positive thinking would get me out of bed in a morning or stop me having panic attacks thinking my baby would die if he left the house.

Medication got me to a place where I was able to access CBT and counselling. Without it? I don't want to know

GrouchyKiwi Wed 01-Nov-17 21:34:27

I wouldn't be able to stop myself from telling her exactly how daft that all is. Someone's Wrong On The Internet would definitely take over.

DamsonGin Wed 01-Nov-17 21:38:41

I'd just reply 'well, you're wrong'.

Mulch Wed 01-Nov-17 21:40:53

She got any alternative therapies to offer nothing compliments think differently like crystals and reiki. Evil modern medicine trying to increase serotonin/dopamine production

dailydance Wed 01-Nov-17 21:42:03

Unfriend her and what Grouchy said. Fair play for holding your tongue

softmachine Wed 01-Nov-17 21:42:25

One of my "friends" posted a link to an article saying that watching Peppa Pig caused autism shock

I have 2 children with autism.

I couldn't be arsed getting into a facebook argument about it, so I just unfriended her. I have zero tolerance for idiots like that.

gentlydoesit89 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:44:24

hmm I’d really struggle not to reply to something like that with something incredibly sarcastic. Probably best to just hide it and move on, though can understand where you’re coming from OP.

People really are idiots sometimes.

DamsonGin Wed 01-Nov-17 21:44:43

That's a new one, softmachine. Can say I'm a fan of Peppa Pig but that's rather far fetched.

RapunzelsRealMom Wed 01-Nov-17 21:45:19

Unfriend!!! Although I’d possibly give her an ‘education’ if I was in the right mood! Stupid woman

Naughty1205 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:56:37

What a load of bollocks! If she could think herself better it's far from depression she had. Drives me bloody mad this shit! angry

Katyazamo Wed 01-Nov-17 22:57:21

I’m embarrassed to say I had a similar view point to hers until I developed post natal psychosis after my first. Sadly people won’t realise the full impact of mental health unless they experience it first hand either themselves or through a family member.
Will agree that anti depressants are over prescribed.

Blueroses99 Wed 01-Nov-17 23:22:19

Reply with this meme.

ohfourfoxache Wed 01-Nov-17 23:29:08

Oh bless her cotton socks smile

Perhaps asthmatics can think themselves better; afterall, they’re their lungs smile

Or cancer sufferers can think themselves better: what’s a tumour when you have the power of positive thought? smile

Stupid fucking bitch obviously doesn’t have a clue. Delete and block op - some ignorance just can’t be cured

ohfourfoxache Wed 01-Nov-17 23:30:36

Blue I LOVE that meme thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now