Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Switching AD whilst breastfeeding

(3 Posts)
peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 31-Oct-17 22:16:13

I've been on sertraline for around five years. It's seen me through two pregnancies and two breastfed children. I'm still feeding my youngest, who is 5mo and intend to continue as long as he wants to. My eldest stopped at 14mo, so possibly another year, maybe more or less.
I have PND along with other long-standing MH issues. I'm currently taking the maximum dose (200mg) and my psychiatrist has suggested that the only thing I can now do is switch to something else since sertraline may have lost its efficacy for me, and I can't increase it anymore. I believe the other safe AD to take is fluoxetine. I had a bad experience with this one when I was about 15 and had a manic episode, which worries me.
I have lots of other worries too. Withdrawal, fluoxetine not working and my getting really unwell, etc. But I wondered if anyone had experience of changing meds whilst actively breastfeeding and whether it made any difference to the baby's attitude or desire to breastfeed? Having had a rough beginning with my eldest, I'm pleased to have found feeding my new baby relatively easy, and he's prone to refusing bottles, so I'm worried about rocking the boat.
Sorry if this makes little sense. I'm pretty all over the place right now.

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 31-Oct-17 22:18:39

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs!

peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 01-Nov-17 15:56:32

Beep bump beep

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now