Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Worried and anxious about pregnancy, work and maternity allowance

(1 Post)
NooNooHead1981 Tue 31-Oct-17 12:58:27

I've just posted in the Pregnancy board about this so apologies if this is the wrong place/I'm repeating myself.

I'm 6w2d pregnant and have just done a calculation on the government DWP website re: maternity allowance. My contract was ended as a freelance copywriter in August so I'm currently job hunting and out of work at the moment. Going by the calculations, I would have just worked under the minimum 26 weeks from March this year until my due date, so I won't qualify for the maternity allowance. Obviously if I get another job, I will work over the minimum and then of course qualify.for maternity allowance (but I think I'll need to check that I will have paid enough NI etc too, as I'm self-employed).

It's all v worrying about the pregnancy and if it will progress ok, how I go about telling any potential and future employers, and how the heck I will cope if I don't find work in time to qualify etc. I know we're talking months away but I'm stressing about looking for work enough as it is, on top of the pressure to get some even sooner now I am pregnant.

Sorry for the moan, I am sure things will be ok. I have a scan at the EPAU on Thursday so I am v anxious about that too, as I had an ectopic in March which really made me v sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now