Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Getting signed off work

(8 Posts)
cantfaceit Tue 31-Oct-17 08:11:15

Hi, I have been on various contracts at my place of work for nearly 2 years. My current contract will finish this month. It has been a really stressful job but I have really enjoyed it. I have been content with contracting. This past month I have gradually been ignored and now have very little to do. Oddly I am more stressed out by that I don't think I can face the office again. I have been moved to a part of the office no one goes to. I did think I could just sit there and apply for jobs etc but am getting increasingly anxious, not sleeping and losing confidence . Part of me thinks I should just pull up my big girl pants and get on with it but the other half is falling apart. I am consisting going to the gp tomorrow and asking to be signed off work

Caulk Tue 31-Oct-17 08:12:46

Do you mean you’re finishing working there from the end of October or the end of November?

cantfaceit Tue 31-Oct-17 08:18:07

Sorry end of November

GlitterGlue Tue 31-Oct-17 08:26:45

I think you should go to work tomorrow and give applying for other jobs a go. Having something positive to look towards may be helpful - if you are off sick what's your plans for when the job finishes?

Obviously if things get worse see your GP, but in the meantime try whatever techniques work to reduce your stress and anxiety.

Pythonesque Tue 31-Oct-17 08:28:42

I don't know the ins and outs of it, but if it is nearly 2 years that you have been on "various contracts", you may be approaching the point of gaining some ongoing employment rights. If work conditions "persuade" you to give up at this point you have far fewer entitlements than you might gain once you have more than 2 years' service.

On the other hand, being given less work to do may be a prelude to not getting a further contract precisely to avoid you gaining employment rights.

I'd recommend you try to stick it out but keep your wits about you and indeed look for other jobs. Check exactly how long you have been working for the company.

See your GP by all means but I'm not sure that getting signed off is likely to be helpful unless your anxiety is quite extreme. From your description, feeling worried is reasonable - sometimes I find that acknowledging that anxiety is real can actually help keep it to manageable levels.

Good luck and hope the next job comes up soon whether to continue where you are in something realistic or a brilliant opportunity elsewhere.

cantfaceit Tue 31-Oct-17 08:33:41

Thank you both for your lovely replies. Yes I do think the 2 year thing is an issue. I am happy to move on tbh. I will probably take December off as I am unlikely to find anything and start in earnest in January. I have some professional exams to study for as well. It's hard to explain why it's so horrible. I worked really hard for the organisation but now feel like I am being sidelined so they can justify not extending the contract again. It is underhand and unpleasant. I will go in tomorrow

GlitterGlue Tue 31-Oct-17 08:44:08

Just keep in mind, it's not you, it's them. Even if you weren't suitable they aren't required to handle it in a dickish fashion.

Good luck with finding a super new job. I'm sure a much better one is out there.

cantfaceit Tue 31-Oct-17 08:45:12

I am losing so much confidence I am worried it will affect me getting a new job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now