Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is it possible to improve self esteem and social anxiety?

(3 Posts)
lurkingnotlurking Sun 29-Oct-17 15:39:12

I'm in my thirties. A mum to three small children and yes I am tired (which affects my mood). But I have long-term low self - esteem and social anxiety. In a nutshell, I don't see myself as even remotely likeable. Deep down, I feel like everyone who is close to me - including those closest - will one day realise that I'm the way I see myself. That they'll realise they have mare a mistake and that they don't like me either. None of this has changed how I live my life and I'm lucky in that sense. I'm okay. But I'd like to know this: could I ever change and come to like myself? Thanks.

BiglyBadgers Sun 29-Oct-17 15:48:28

Yes you can. I suffered from awful social anxiety and low self esteem, and while I wouldn't say I am 100% awesome I am a world away from where I was. I generally believe I am actually a pretty OK person and that some people might actually like me and want to be my friend. It is still hard work at times and I am struggling a bit right now, but I know I do have value as a person, so can get back to a good place again.

For me it was a course of CBT that made the difference. I would recommend seeing someone or finding a therapist online if you can afford it. I went online and can genuinely say he changed my life.

lurkingnotlurking Sun 29-Oct-17 20:45:42

Thank you. I hope so. It's so tiring feeling this way so often. I've ordered a book - as a start - on overcoming low self esteem and maybe it can offer me a way forward. Congratulations on improving your own self esteem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now