Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What MH issues would stop you from working long term?

(9 Posts)
Ninjawarriorfan Sat 28-Oct-17 23:51:15

Hello,

Just that really. Been in contact with my mother today after a very long time and she said she was taking tablets that prevented her from working.

She has a history of severe mental health issues - sectioned and attempted suisides.

I didn't want to pry but I'm lay here wondering what could they be and what for. I've a feeling it's schizophrenia, can you work on that medication ?

Cheers

Howmanysleepstilchristmas Sat 28-Oct-17 23:56:12

I’ve known people work on most psychotropic meds. Did she mention which side effects she had that stopped her working? Different medication affects people differently.

Ninjawarriorfan Sun 29-Oct-17 00:02:05

No howmany

She just kind of brushed over it. They must be very stong as I've never seen her so calm. She stumbled her words a bit.

At the height of her illness she smoked a lot of weed for a few years and I'm wondering if that brought on a psychosis

tehmina23 Sun 29-Oct-17 15:54:38

I take high dose anti depressants & high dose anti psychotics and I work 30 hours a week - I do struggle though

ZippyCameBack Sun 29-Oct-17 15:58:41

My niece was schizophrenic and sometimes her meds would really knock her out. It was like there was a delay switch and she couldn't process anything that was said to her for a few seconds. She also still heard voices, so it wasn't like the meds made it all go away. They just helped for a while so that she could manage to get through the day without killing herself.
She did finally kill herself at a time when her meds were being adjusted and consequently her condition was quite unstable.

bringbacksideburns Sun 29-Oct-17 16:05:46

My brother functions perfectly well on his meds. He drives, did a degree whilst volunteering for a mental health charity as an advocate, and now works full time in the NHS.

He's never messed with his meds and always takes them.
He smoked a hell of a lot of weed when younger and hasn't touched it in years.
The meds did bloat him but he makes sure he swims and goes to the gym a couple of times a week to keep his weight in check.

bringbacksideburns Sun 29-Oct-17 16:07:31

I'm sorry Zippy. That is so sad flowers

It would depend on the individual medication and individual person along with their health etc.

You are not going to figure out what it is by asking that questionconfused

Bombardier25966 Sun 29-Oct-17 16:19:37

Agree with @TripTrap, the effect of the condition and of the medication will vary between individuals.

Depression can be mild in some, in others can be so severe to stop them doing anything for themselves. Schizophrenia can be well managed in and individuals able to function as normal, others may not be able to manage their condition well (through no fault of their own). S
With all conditions some might appear to function ok, but any stress or other triggers could make them a danger to themselves or others.

Meds can help someone manage their condition, but sometimes that is by dampening down their emotions, their reactions and their cognitive ability to the extent that they cannot work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now