Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

TRIGGER WARNING - This may be a disturbing thread - So sorry

(85 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

fullofhope03 Fri 27-Oct-17 22:42:32

Apologies as I have had a few wines AND a depressing and long conversation this evening. Anyway, my question is, has anyone lost someone very dear to them and wanted to 'get in touch' ? Via a Medium, Ouja board? Sorry again to ask.

Farontothemaddingcrowd Fri 27-Oct-17 22:44:28

No. I don't think it's possible to contact the dead. I know it may give people comfort to think this is possible, but I think it can only bring pain and false hope. I am sorry if you have lost a loved one flowers

bottlesandcans Fri 27-Oct-17 22:44:40

Don't be so stupid. Those things are NOT ever going to bring you any luck.

ButchyRestingFace Fri 27-Oct-17 22:45:29

The only close relative I’ve lost recently would give me a skelp round the lugs and tell me to stop fannying about with the occult if I attempted to make contact. 🙂

Farontothemaddingcrowd Fri 27-Oct-17 22:45:30

Bit harsh bottles.

GymBunnieWannabe Fri 27-Oct-17 22:46:38

Bit harsh bottles hmm

No. I have been to my local spiritual church for open readings but I wouldn't mess about with ouiji boards. I had a bad experience as a child.

Lots of people will probably take the Mick but really, don't mess with that stuff.

FenceSitter01 Fri 27-Oct-17 22:46:40

hope gently, these people are dead. Mediums et are just milking your grief.

Jesstheblackandwhitecat Fri 27-Oct-17 22:47:26

Bottles is right, though.

GymBunnieWannabe Fri 27-Oct-17 22:47:34

Farin we happened to post the same thing!! My ' hmm ' was not aimed at you blush

sonlypuppyfat Fri 27-Oct-17 22:47:42

No I think people like that are ghouls feeding off people's misery, I believe when you die you go to another place and there's no coming back

Farontothemaddingcrowd Fri 27-Oct-17 22:48:41

Great minds think alike, gymsmile

Babababababybel23 Fri 27-Oct-17 22:49:07

I hope to have a nice dream about them but would never try to contact them. They are dead. No one would answer. Those things are designed to exploit grieving people

JudgeTinder Fri 27-Oct-17 22:49:25

So sorry if you’ve lost someone. I’ve been to see a medium in the past when my life was going through a rough patch and I would say something was said there that I couldn’t explain away.

Anyway, it brought me comfort and a little closure at the time after a family member passed very suddenly.

Do what feels right for you.

Farontothemaddingcrowd Fri 27-Oct-17 22:49:30

Yes bottles is right, but if the OP has been bereaved, there are sensitive ways to say things.

shouldnthavesaid Fri 27-Oct-17 22:50:03

Not a good idea. My mum thought about it after her friend died this summer out of desperation. Managed to persuade her not to - not because I think some sort of scary thing will happen but because your mind can play tricks on you and probably more likely to do so when you're already struggling.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Fri 27-Oct-17 22:50:28

Funny you should ask that. No, not personally and I lost my beloved DM last year. I think it’s a crock of shit. But today I met a spiritual medium with a terminally ill relative who insists there’s no death, just passing on. If nothing else, her belief is helping her to cope astonishingly well with her situation. I’m less comfortable that she profits from that belief though.

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 27-Oct-17 22:51:28

You can't contact the dead. If you could it wouldn't be done by Mrs Doodah in the community centre!

WhatwouldAryado Fri 27-Oct-17 22:51:53

No. They are cruel manipulative thieves preying on those who are struggling with grief. Please consider an accredited counsell or.

StripeyDeckchair Fri 27-Oct-17 22:52:04

No, death is the end.

Anyone who try's to convince you otherwise is conning you.

DollyPlastic Fri 27-Oct-17 22:52:36

I am a solid believer in the afterlife but please don’t mess about with ouiji boards.

Being bereaved is utterly shit x

bottlesandcans Fri 27-Oct-17 22:52:37

I'm sorry/ I wasn't trying to be harsh. It was more out of fear than anything.

You can either believe it's a fraud and a hoax or you can choose not to mess with such unlucky things. No good ever comes of it.
Try talking to your loved one in other ways. Letters you send to nowhere but post, a diary, poems or just plain old talking out loud.
People are made of atoms, atoms are always there. Your loved one is always with you but not through an oujia board. The only things that can enter through them (if you choose to believe in that) are evil.

Youcanttaketheskyfromme Fri 27-Oct-17 22:53:22

I don't think it's possible no. I'm sorry OP.

fullofhope03 Fri 27-Oct-17 22:53:27

It's shit though. Seems like the only way to get in touch as it were is to go where they have gone. Wherever that is.

bottlesandcans Fri 27-Oct-17 22:55:18

Op whom have you lost? Do you want to talk?

GymBunnieWannabe Fri 27-Oct-17 22:56:05

I think everyone is agreed that whether they don't believe in it (wasting your time) or do believe in it (dangerous to do) using an Ouija board is not MN recommended wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now