Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Therapist?

(8 Posts)
badfurday Thu 26-Oct-17 10:56:20

Can anyone help with how I pick out a therapist/counsellor?

I have a few issues I need to address but not sure how I choose someone to help?

I’m feeling sick about contacting someone but know I need to do it.
TIA

chocolateworshipper Sat 28-Oct-17 21:23:25

Many therapists offer a free initial meeting - so that you can see if you "gel" with them

bluejelly Sat 28-Oct-17 21:39:21

If you look on the NHS website for your area they list accredited counsellors there.

bluejelly Sat 28-Oct-17 21:40:16

And flowers to you. I found counselling hugely helpful. No need to be afraid of it

Dozer Sat 28-Oct-17 21:40:21

If you can afford to pay the BACP website is good.

Caulk Sat 28-Oct-17 21:43:45

I found my therapist through thd counselling directory website. I knew I wanted someone to see me on an open ended basis and I realistically wanted a therapist as IME they have more training. I’ve been seeing her for 6 years.

Millie2013 Sun 29-Oct-17 07:22:35

The counselling directory is good, IIRC, it has a profile for each therapist, so you can read a bit about them. I found mine on the UKCP website
Don't feel you must go with the first therapist you meet, it's important that the "fit" feels right, so you can work well together

badfurday Mon 13-Nov-17 19:53:49

Thanks to all who replied.
I’ve found a great person to help me.
I’ve found it incredibly hard and painful and I am still frightened of opening up but I’m starting to understand myself a bit more now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: