Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Online counselling

(5 Posts)
iwantanewlife Mon 23-Oct-17 21:16:51

I really need to speak with a counsellor but can’t find anyone who I think I want to see locally but I would struggle with traffic and work commitments if I had to drive somewhere after work. a friend suggested online counselling. has anyone ever experienced online counselling / Skype counselling? How did it go?

BiglyBadgers Tue 24-Oct-17 11:31:16

I have used it for exactly there reasons you state as well as the fact that my social anxiety made the idea of sitting in a strange room with a person I didn't know horrifying.

It was great. I had failed terribly at face to face in the past, but found being able to sit in my own house, with my cats for support, while the counsellor was on a computer I knew I could switch off made so much difference. I felt I had much more control over it all. I used PlusGuidance and used the instant messenger but they also support phone and video counselling. I have recommended it to a few people who have found face to face didn't work for them for whatever reason.

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Oct-17 11:32:00

I had CBT over the phone. You don't have to be face to face.

iwantanewlife Tue 24-Oct-17 15:37:28

Thank you for your replies. I think I will give it a go...I just wondered what it would be like over a screen. I guess it’s the best option for me...I’ve had face to face before and the travelling to and from the counsellor was a chore and would occupy the entire evening. That in itself drained me not to mention the anxiety about getting there in time which would eat at me throughout the day

BiglyBadgers Tue 24-Oct-17 15:50:08

It is different to a certain extent as they don't have as good a view of body language and physical cues to work with. However, if you use someone who is experienced at offering counselling this way they will know how to work with it. I was typing using instant messenger, so not even tone of voice to work with, and my counsellor talked to me in the first session about how he would adjust his practice to take this into account (eg, work a bit slower to allow me time to type, ask more questions to clarify things).

If you are not happy with the way they are doing it or are not connecting with them then don't feel bad about trying someone else. Personal connect is so important no matter what medium you use and you have a much bigger pool of counsellors to work in online, so can hopefully find someone who you click with.

I hope it goes well for you smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: