Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Severe anxiety in 8 year old, any advice..

(7 Posts)
hattyyellow123 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:58:31

DD has had growing anxiety to the stage where I feel she would benefit from talking to someone impartial - she is only 8 so I don't want to scare her, but I was thinking perhaps CBT type work? Any advice of this with children? I had CBT in my 20's, following a period of terrifying panic attacks/severe anxiety following a series of traumatic events. She hasn't had any trauma of this kind, but is naturally anxious and is starting to get panic attacks about school/night terrors/constant stomach ache. We've been in close contact with school who are very supportive, but her teacher also felt some outside advice would be useful..hoping this is the right forum, but please do redirect me if I need to go over to parenting..

Twoweekcruise Mon 23-Oct-17 12:16:21

My, now 12 yr old ds is a very anxious child and has suffered from the age of 6/7. Earlier this year his anxiety good quite bad so I contacted our local Mind centre and they were able to arrange for one if their child counsellors to come into Ds's school every week to see him. It really helped him, he will always be an anxious person but he did very much benefit from these hourly sessions and we were very lucky that they were free. I contacted various places, unfortunately CAHMS were not very helpful but Relate also offered to come to his school. He also listens to the Headspace app which I would recommend.

hattyyellow123 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:28:19

Thanks so much for this, it's so helpful. I will contact them and discuss - have been googling without much success, so that's so helpful - thank you! Will look at Headspace app too, is that a child specific one?

Twoweekcruise Mon 23-Oct-17 12:42:15

The Headspace app is for all but very easy to listen to, the man has a very calming voice.

hattyyellow123 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:50:34

Thank you so much.

EdgarAllanPO Mon 23-Oct-17 12:58:07

Op have a look for facilities that use play therapy in your area.

hattyyellow123 Mon 23-Oct-17 13:13:38

Thank you, will google

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now