Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Asking someone to get help with mental health issue

(3 Posts)
user1485778793 Sat 21-Oct-17 16:26:25

Any advice on bringing up mental health with someone you think needs some help.

My dh wants to bring this up with mil but I think she will refuse help and argue there is nothing wrong with her. ( see many previous threads).

I told dh I didn't think she would accept help as she has refused already. He wants to give her an ultimatum, she either gets help or he won't see her again. I think this will back fire. Her behaviour recently is really bad. I think she has narsistic personality disorder. But I don't want him to be pushing someone who is ill and make it worse.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Sat 21-Oct-17 18:42:39

Ultimately the unwell person has to take responsibility for seeking help (unless its a case where they are seriously unwell and have no insight) And your DH needs to protect himself. Maybe an ultimatum will work maybe not, but if he does give her an ultimatum he needs to be willing to follow through.

user1485778793 Sun 22-Oct-17 01:12:09

Thanks for replying. She doesn't want it. She believes she is fine and everyone else is wrong. She sees no wrong in anything she has ever said or done and cannot take aby responsibility for anything she has said or done. Ever.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: