Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Inpatient or home treatment?

(7 Posts)
justpoppy Fri 20-Oct-17 03:43:35

Have been feeling awful now for weeks and finally made appointment with gp. She referred me to mental health team at a&e who have offered me a bed in the local psych ward or home treatment.

I have a very long and varied history which I won't go into. Have been inpatient a number of times so know how it works. HTT team think it's a good idea as I've been off meds for a long time so to reintroduce them in a controlled environment would be better. Best friend agrees boyfriend doesn't. My head is a bloody mess and I can't work out the pros and cons.

wfrances Fri 20-Oct-17 18:04:50

hi justpoppy
when i was given a choice , i chose htt
i am also agoraphobic so pd was quite stuck what to do with me .
if you go voluntarily ,cant you leave if you change your mind ??

KeemaNaan Sat 21-Oct-17 11:36:19

I’ve had this choice recently nd chose home treatment. It was a bit harder than being in hospital as I still had to exist in the real world iyswim, but I think I started to recover quicker and didn’t have the stress of leaving hospital he getting back into the real world.

cakeymccakington Sat 21-Oct-17 11:46:29

I think it depends on whether you feel there is a real danger to yourself?
Who would be responsible for "keeping you safe" for want of a better term if you're at home?

I guess what I'm saying is where do you think is the safest place for you?

It doesn't really matter what your friends or boyfriend think... It's where you feel safest and can focus on getting better

Caulk Sat 21-Oct-17 11:52:52

I’d go inpatient. Beds come up so rarely here (within 2 hr drive) that if it was offered then I’d take it. I didn’t find htt helpful but I’m sure some people do.

justpoppy Sun 22-Oct-17 10:36:42

That's everyone. I chose impatient. I wasn't safe at home and no one around me understood the risks. It's meant a few people have had to change their plans to accommodate mine but I so very rarely reach out for hope that I'm putting that right at the back of mind. It's been two days so far and still haven't seen a consultant psych but I feel safe which I didn't at home. Hopefully it won't be a long stay but I'm determined to get better this time xx

Apocalyptichorsewoman Sun 22-Oct-17 12:34:54

Hope you are managing ok in hospital and feel better soon - it sounds like you need that space x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now