Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Helping a friend who is pregnant and with history of substance abuse

(7 Posts)
Purple999Red Wed 18-Oct-17 15:52:24

The subject basically tells it all. I'm afraid that she will go back to using drugs again because her boyfriend left her. But this time, she's pregnant at 3 months. She's been depressed since she the break up. What should I do?

AfunaMbatata Wed 18-Oct-17 16:16:19

Encourage her to access all the support she can. Make sure she knows it’s a positive thing, that it will help.
Might be an idea to start doing something with her or getting her to focus on something, learning crocheting for a baby blanket etc

SandysMam Wed 18-Oct-17 16:27:25

You have to think of the baby here. Make sure Social Services are aware that she is pregnant, particularly if she is a heroin addict. That drug trumps baby unfortunately and if she starts using again it will be horrendous for the child. I like PP idea about getting her involved in positive things to keep her mind of things and on the baby. You sound like a good friend.

Purple999Red Thu 19-Oct-17 15:53:48

Great suggestions. I am planning to have her join my friends go on a camping trip two weeks from now. Crossing my fingers that she'll join us.

Purple999Red Thu 19-Oct-17 15:55:09

@SandysMam I'm still terrified to inform Social Services. sad

Purple999Red Thu 19-Oct-17 16:05:37

I'm planning to introduce the idea of referring her to a psychologist. I read an article about how much therapy would cost in seeing a psychologist since this a factor to consider because she does not have work at the moment.
This is the article that I am referring to: www.betterhelp.com/advice/therapy/can-i-afford-to-see-a-counselor-how-much-does-therapy-cost/

Purple999Red Wed 29-Nov-17 08:59:35

@AfunaMbatata I am encouraging her to go back to painting since she likes art so much but I am still waiting for her response.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now