Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety and food issues, anorexia bouts?

(10 Posts)
Lovemusic33 Mon 16-Oct-17 07:28:40

I haven't had a bout of (what I suspect to be) anorexia for 10 months or so until now. I suffer with extreme anxiety which at the moment is pretty bad but have managed to keep eating and have used fitness as my focus, I work out at the gym and I know to do this I have to eat well but as soon as something happens in my life to upset me I just can't eat. I am now not able to go to the gym (I know if I go I will pass out) and I need to do the food shopping but it makes me feel sick sad.

I don't know why I'm writing here, I guess I just need to tell someone how I am feeling this morning. These bouts don't usually last too long and I know I will be ok, it just sets me back a bit. Does anyone else get this? I have been on meds for my anxiety in the last, have tried most anti depressants but they are not for me, I don't want to go back to my gp, I want to help myself by being a stronger person.

Wtfdoicare Mon 16-Oct-17 17:16:24

I get this too. I'm not anorexic or have a diagnosed eating disorder, but if there is any upset, turbulence or anxiety in my life I can't eat much. When I do eat I often struggle to keep it down as well and often have to spit mouthfuls out or bring food back up. It doesn't sound good written down sad It doesn't last with me either, when I'm settled and happy I'm usually ok with eating. I haven't ever been on meds.

Sorry I have no advice for you though.

Wtfdoicare Mon 16-Oct-17 17:17:37

I am also very into my fitness and run a lot. I find this most helpful to clear my mind and relax me.

Lovemusic33 Mon 16-Oct-17 17:34:07

Thank you for your reply. I have managed to eat a little today, I often go a few days without anything and then a few days where I just pick rather than face a meal.

The gym helps me stay sane and gives me something to focus on, I go most days but couldn't go today as felt too light headed, I'm going to try and pull myself together and go tomorrow, I have bought some protein shakes in case I can't eat enough tomorrow. I do get a bit obsessed with my weight and my diet, I can also binge and then feel really down after. I had a rubbish weekend which set me back, I shouldn't let it and I'm probably just being silly. Tomorrow will be a better day.

anxiousnow Mon 16-Oct-17 17:45:24

I do it too. Not diagnosed and don't actually think mine is as extreme but just lost a stone in a matter of weeks. Went from 9.5 to 8.5. Couldn't swallow and felt too full. This week for some reason i am binging too. Chocolate crisps etc. I do it if there is a man that has upset me.

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Mon 16-Oct-17 20:13:29

I do this too. A coping mechanism for me is to do a diet as I have control over something but when my anxiety kicks off like now, I just can’t eat. I am hungry now but if I pick up something to eat I feel sick so won’t. Once my ADs kick in I’ll be eating again but until then I eat snack bars and fruit when I can x

Lovemusic33 Tue 17-Oct-17 07:42:48

anxious yes, it's usually a man that sets it off, I'm not sure why I bother with them really sad. I ate a little yesterday but then went to work and skipped dinner, felt hungry when I got home last night but felt sick at the thought of eating anything I had in my cupboards so I went to bed. I'm going to attempt the gym this morning, maybe it will make me hungry, I'm going in to town after so I might be tempted by something there (McDonald's breakfast).

Wtfdoicare Tue 17-Oct-17 10:27:01

Love are you underweight at the moment? I would try and eat before going to the gym if it has been several hours since you last ate anything. I know, easier said than done.

Lovemusic33 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:38:56

I don't think I'm underweight, probably around 9 stone or just under (8 and a half is my lowest), I put weight on over the summer and have only been back at the gym for 2 months, I haven't weighed myself, don't keep scales at home or I will get obsessed.

My weight yo yo's or I think it does ( by looking in the mirror ). I have eaten today, got to McDonalds in time for breakfast grin.

Wtfdoicare Sun 22-Oct-17 22:44:41

Hope things are getting better for you Love. McD's breakfast sounds a great place to start!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now