Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Deaf mental health

(3 Posts)
Qwerky82749 Fri 13-Oct-17 17:18:39

Hi,

I'm a 67 year old mother and my son has just been diagnosed with a mental illness. He is also deaf. Does anyone have any recommendations for services available? Particularly St. George and Cygnet Bury services, are they good?

Nissandriver Mon 16-Oct-17 19:14:38

Hi Qwerky, I’m afraid I don’t have any experience in this are but wanted to offer you a hand old. I’m sure someone will be able to offer some experienced advice

NolongerAnxiousCarer Mon 16-Oct-17 19:29:19

What has he been diagnosed with? That will influence what type of services are most appropriate. How does his deafness affect him? Does he sign/lip read? His deafness may provide an additional challenge to both him and the mental health service, but they should be able to find acway of being inclusive (under the disability discrimination act they have to ensure he has support to access the appropriate service for his mental health.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: